Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

MCS-7815I 2.0 - Memory upgrade, won't boot

I want to upgrade memory on an old MCS-7815 server to run CCM 4.1.3 as a lab server. The server has a 2.0 GHz processor and 512Mb RAM. When I add an additional 512 DIMM, it won't boot. I hear a series of 3 beeps, 3 times in a row when I turn on the power, and it won't even get to the BIOS screen.

Both memory cards are good, I can boot with either one. I can also boot with memory in either the DIMM-1 or DIMM-2 slot, so I don't think it's a motherboard failure.

I looked up the 3x3 beep code on IBM's manual for the x205 server, it says I need to do a "3 boot reset", but it doesn't explain what a 3 boot reset is. I have gone into BIOS setup and reset memory, and tried rebooting in several different combinations.

Has anyone ever run into this? This server is supposed to support up to 2 Gb of RAM in a 2x1Gb combo, so I would expect it to support 2x512Mb.

Thanks, Randy

2 REPLIES
Silver

Re: MCS-7815I 2.0 - Memory upgrade, won't boot

You need to do a BIOS upgrade before you add more memory.

Gold

Re: MCS-7815I 2.0 - Memory upgrade, won't boot

another issue could be both the momory cards are not compatible. Can u try 2*512 GB or 2*1 GB of the same model/part #

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content