Views
Helpful
Replies

MCS 7845 H2 RAID Configuration

nelson.chu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

What is "Best Practise" for setting up RAID on a (4) Disk system on MCS 7845 H2 servers?

Thanks,

Nelson

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi

Typically you would have 2 X RAID1 arrays.

Two logical drives presented to the OS, each one based on two physical disks in a mirrored config.

In general it's not something you need to worry about; most applications have a scripted platform build process that identifies the hardware and builds RAID configs appropriately.

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

It is possible, yes; but only as a quick reversion option (i.e. make sure you have the original system backed up using BARS in case a problem occurs).

When you rebuild the server with a new CM version, the RAID array config will probably be wiped and rebuilt, and firmware versions will be changed etc, so you may have problems reverting even if you do this carefully (i.e. shut down the server before splitting, maintaining the correct positions of the disks, etc). You also need to have the server fully populated when doing the build of CM7 or it will see an incorrect disk count and either assume you have a lower spec server or refuse to build.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

For RAID 1, it requires (2) Hard Drives for mirroring.  If there are (4) disks in the MCS 7845, what are the (2) other disks used for?  This is not clear to me.

Hi

Typically you would have 2 X RAID1 arrays.

Two logical drives presented to the OS, each one based on two physical disks in a mirrored config.

In general it's not something you need to worry about; most applications have a scripted platform build process that identifies the hardware and builds RAID configs appropriately.

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Thanks, Aaron - that reminded me. The CUCM install disk will configure the RAID array for you.

RAID 1 requires a MINIMUM of 2 disks but is not exclusive to 2 disk configurations. RAID 1 can be implemented with 3 or more disks as well.

Maybe someone else can weigh in on this and provide further clarification as well.

Hailey

Hi,

This is related to my other post about upgrading 4.2 to 7.1(2).  Is it possible to split the mirror drives?  This is part of fallback plan when upgrading the clusters.

Thanks,

Nelson

It is possible, yes; but only as a quick reversion option (i.e. make sure you have the original system backed up using BARS in case a problem occurs).

When you rebuild the server with a new CM version, the RAID array config will probably be wiped and rebuilt, and firmware versions will be changed etc, so you may have problems reverting even if you do this carefully (i.e. shut down the server before splitting, maintaining the correct positions of the disks, etc). You also need to have the server fully populated when doing the build of CM7 or it will see an incorrect disk count and either assume you have a lower spec server or refuse to build.

Regards

Aaron

Hi,

We have a lab setup and it duplicates the production environment.  I want test this before doing it on the live system.  Someone on my team brought up this option during our planning session.

Thanks all,

Nelson

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: