Views
Helpful
Replies

Method of discovering un-used extensions

happyatuni
Level 1
Level 1

Dear NetPro,

My customer has a lot of users come & go and they use 'Extension Mobility' for all of their users.

My client is trying to investigate what extensions are vacant since users may have left.  Does CUCM has any way of discovering what extensions haven't been used for say 1 month or anything like that?

The main reason behind this is because my customer would like to recycle their 'pool of extensions' for new users.

I have spent a long time on this already so would appreciated if anyone can shed some light on this.

Cheers,

Hunt                  

8 Replies 8

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, natively it doesn't have any report to find such information. You could review CDRs to see when was the last time they called.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

afrancis95
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Hunt,

I haven't seen any way of doing this either on the UCM itself easily, as Java said. 

If you are interested in a 3rd party solution we have a report in our product that will allow you to get a list of unused devices based on reporting criteria such as date/time, department etc.

If you are interested you can find out more about it here:

http://www.tri-line.com/cisco/

If you have any questions let me know.

Best regards,

Andy

Hello Andy,

I'm definitely interested to learn more about your product.  Is there any email that we can communciate with?

Cheers,

Hunt

Hi Hunt,

Sure, you can email me using afrancis@tri-line.com and I can answer any questions you have.

Also might be worth downloading our software and taking a look.  We have a 14 day free trial so we can get it on your system and see it live.

Best regards,
Andy

Hi Hunt,

The only way I know how to get this information is as follows.

1 - You log into the "Unified Reporting" site of CUCM (https://X.X.X.X/cucreports)

2 - Select "System Reports"

3 - Select "Unified CM Extension Mobility" and on the next page select the "Unified CM Extension Mobility" hyperlink.

4 - Under "Extension Mobility Logged in Detail" you will see all the current users logged in and the date they last logged in. You can now manually highlight and copy all the output and paste it into an excel sheet (I recommend that you paste the output first into a notepad and then into an excel sheet).

5 - Now export all the User Device Profiles from CUCM BULK Administratration.

6 - Compare the two spreadsheets to find the UDPs that are not currently logged in.

Regards,

Yosh

HTH Regards, Yosh

james25091
Level 1
Level 1

Maybe I am missing something but can't you go to route plan report and search for unassigned DN and that will give you a list of extension that are not active.

Jim

James Thomas wrote:

Maybe I am missing something but can't you go to route plan report and search for unassigned DN and that will give you a list of extension that are not active.

Jim

Jim,

That will show dead DNs but will not really show you phones that are sitting on some random desk that no one has used in six months (would possibly show as registered too).

If you can see a list of extensions/devices on the system and then correlate that information with the call statistics for a period of time you can see which phones have truely become "dead".

Best regards,

Andy

William Bell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I know I am late to the party but I have looked at this on occassion. It is sometimes difficult to nail this down but since you are using EM heavily/exclusively, there are more options available to you than for most.

In general, the approach to leverage CDRs. The assumption is that if someone is sitting near a phone they may be using it. Even with EM, if they are logging into a phone they are likely using it. If the phone is being used and CDRs are being logged (and also assuming the record retention time is adequate) then you have the data needed to answer the question.

Where EM gives you a slight advantage is that people are logging in and I believe this is being tracked in the extensionmobilitydynamic table. Running the following query on your UCM cluster may give you some useful information:

select eu.userid, emd.logintime, emd.loginduration, emd.datetimestamp

from extensionmobilitydynamic emd inner join enduser eu on emd.fkenduser_lastlogin=eu.pkid

order by eu.userid

The above will dump out a list of end users and the emd.datetimestamp field is a value (stored as epoch time) of when that user logged into the device. The output will be a history of sorts. I do not know if the data is purged periodically or not. I haven't explored this close enough yet. Also, you may need to adjust the query to see current logged on users:

select eu.userid, emd.logintime, emd.loginduration, emd.datetimestamp

from extensionmobilitydynamic emd inner join enduser eu on emd.fkenduser=eu.pkid

order by eu.userid

The above is close (I assume) to what the reporting tool that Yosh mentioned is doing.

You can run these queries from the CLI on one of the UCM nodes. You can also leverage the query tool that Cisco provides. You can also build or acquire a tool that allows you to submit queries and dump reports. I do that latter with a homegrown app. A series I wrote on using the Cisco provided query tool (be prepared to parse XML) is here:

http://www.netcraftsmen.net/resources/blogs/running-sql-queries-on-cucm-6x7x-using-axl-soap-toolkit-part-1.html

HTH.

Regards,

Bill

http://ucguerrilla.com

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: