cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MGCP and Gatekeeper

r.errington
Level 1
Level 1

I cannot have the CUCMs register with a gatekeeper since there are already Inter-Cluster Trunks (non gatekeeper controlled) configured. Gatekeeper will be used just for TEHO. Since you can configure H323 and MGCP on a gateway can I configure gatekeeper on an MGCP gateway? Would I just create a new dial-peer to  the PSTN or send the call back to the CUCM and add a new H323 gateway?

6 Replies 6

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sure you can.

Are your locations using different phone systems, or are they all on CUCM? If the second why not do TEHO natively in CUCM?

Chris

Multiple CUCM clusters as well as multiple CMEs. I want to limit calls by bandwidth on the zones, the present ICT non gatekeeper are used for inter-site dialing. I want to use four hop-off locations, one per continent.

OK. The to answer your original question you can certainly configure GK on GW running MGCP assuming you have the proper IOS and license for GK.

HTH, please rate all useful posts!

Chris

I guess I didn't explain it properly. The GK (Cluster) is configured on dedicated routers (2951s) the endpoints for hopoff would be the MGCP voice-gateways attached to certain CUCM clusters. The question is should I use dedicated dial-peers on the MGCP gateway to the PSTN or add the MGCP gateway as an H323 gateway and route the calls back to the CUCM and let the CUCM handle the calls to the PSTN. (I can't configure the CUCMs as an endpoints on the GK because the GK has issues reporting bandwidth with GK and non GK controlled ICTs)

You can certainly add the dial-peers and register the GWs as end points with GK, keep in mind though if you do that you will not be able use the PRI circuits on those GWs as with MGCP the D-channel is backhaulled to CUCM and CUCM is in contorl of the PRI. So, MGCP and H323 can be shared on the same GW only to control seperate circuits.

If you re-configure the GWs to be H323 then you can share the GW between CUCM and GK control, hence this should be what you need to do.

HTH,

Chris

I think my best option would be to change the MGCP to H323 on the gateway. The only other option would be to route the incoming calls to an MGCP gateway back to the CUCM. Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: