Views
Helpful
Replies

MGCP E1 PRI CM 6.1

Nicolas Mansour
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I have CM 6.1 connected to a gateway with MGCP enabled.

The problem is that the E1 port is not registering. I looped back the E1 using a physical connector.

the show mgcp is up, the show ccm-manager is registered and the show mgcp endpoints are showing.

26 Replies 26

Can you advise what CUCM version you are running, the 'sh ver' from the gateway, and if possible capture the screen shot of the gateway device again, so that is displays the top of screen and the slots?

Allan.

Further to my previous post, this information will assist in whether you are running into an IOS or CUCM compatibility issue. Which is what it would appear as CUCM is trying to configure a slot that does not exist.

Also for your information the NM-HDV2 when the configured for E1 it is possible that the E1 controllers may not come up properly when connected to reliable E1 circuits.

The output of the show controllers E1 command can indicate large accumulations of Line Code Violations (LCVs) and Path Code Violations (PCVs). The problem can be the result of how the E1 line has been provisioned by the Telco; specifically whether Wet Current is provided or not. On the NM-HDV2 product there are two jumper blocks which control whether the onboard T1/E1 controllers support Wet Current or not. These jumpers are identified on the Printed Circuit Board (PCB) of the Network Module as J6 and J7 (see photograph). J6 is the jumper block for onboard controller 1 while J7 is the jumper block for onboard controller 0. The pin count for each jumper block is from 1 to 3. Pin 1 is the rightmost pin and Pin 3 is the leftmost pin. When Pins 1 and 2 are short-circuited (Right Jumper Setting) the onboard controller is set for "Wet Current Mode", and when Pins 2 and 3 are short-circuited (Left Jumper Setting) the onboard controller is set for "Normal Mode". Early production NM-HDV2s shipped with the jumper blocks set to expect Wet Current to be supplied by the Telco, and this causes problems for some E1 users. When you move the setting to Normal Mode, it typically clears up the problem. Current production NM-HDV2s now ship with the jumper blocks set for Normal Mode.

Please refer to the following URL:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk653/technologies_tech_note09186a008039c333.shtml

Rgds

Allan

Hi Allan,

The version: 6.1.2.1000-13

Please find attached the requested files

Can you post the screen shot when you open the drop down option for selecting the sub-unit on the gateway configuration.

I would like to verify what module options are available for selection, and confirm that correct one is selected.

Rgds

Allan.

Hi Allan,

please find attached the screen shot you requested.

Under the card type e1 1 1 command on the gateway, do you other options after specifying card type e1 1 ?

When you specify the card type it creates the E1 controllers accordingly, and within CUCM the endpoints have been added as 1/0/0 and 1/0/1 which do not correspond to gateway configuration.

Unfortunately all the NM-HDV2 documentation and specifications do not list the VWIC2 as a supported module? I suspect that the documentation has not been updated to reflect that it does, else why would you have the option to select it.

I believe the issue is probably due to the incorrect card type being set, thus the controllers have been inappropriate set.

Rgds

Allan.

Hi Allan,

Here is the available config under the card:

VG-Vivacell-CM(config)#card type e1 ?

<0-4> Card slot number (always 0 for 1800 series & 2801 routers)

VG-Vivacell-CM(config)#card type e1 1 ?

<0-1> WIC slot number (0:WIC, 1:Onboard for NM-HDV2)

Certainly is self explanatory, the question why are the controllers showing as 1/0 and 1/1?

When you specified the card type did you reload gateway as this is recommended.

Also whilst validating the IOS the The current IOS certainly support the NM-HDV2, the software advisor also indicates that the VWIC2 is not supported?

There were no open caveats which I could identify in relation to the symptoms that you are seeing.

Can you possibly try configuring one of the slots in CUCM with a VWIC-2MFT-E1 instead of VWIC2? Does endpoint identifier change to 1/0?

Rgds

Allan.

Well your right it turned out that i should have selected the second "subunit 1" which clearly states NM-HV2-ONBOARD-E1. After that the ports registered quickly. Thank you for all your efforts.

Can you guide me to a document that compares the MGCP "isdn bind-l3 ccm-manager" method with the other one with the dial-peers ?

I may have the same issue. I have a 3825 with 4 VWIC2-2MFT-T1/E1

The only option I get on CUCM screen for MGCP on this router is NM-4VIWC-MBRD.

So what you are saying I should be using the VWIC cards, not the VWIC2 cards? Or ?

Thanks!

Hi Tommer,

The previous problem was that the incorrect module was selected for the particular slot, the NM-HV has onboard E1 which I can only assume is a vwic not vwic2 as the documentation does not list vwic2 as a supported module.

When you select the NM-4VWIC-MBRD and then update, you should then see sub-slot drop down options, here you should be able to select the VWIC2-2MFT-T1/E1 modules.

Hope this helps.

Allan.

Pls rate helpful posts.

Just checking. That is what I have setup.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: