cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MGCP FXO and Caller-id

jasonlnielsen
Level 4
Level 4

I have a router running MGCP for our remote offices and have caller-id enabled on our gateway and as well in CUCM. (8.5)

Caller-ID only works the first instance. Then it doesn't for the remainder of the calls. If I reset or do a shut and then a no shut, the next calling party Caller-ID works.

Has anyone seen this before? I have tried using the caller-id alerting dsp-pre-alloc command and it does not make a difference.

Any suggestions before I call TAC?

TIA

7 Replies 7

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, use H.323 and enjoy the stability and features of a proven solution.

Gajanan Pande
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Jason,

As Paolo said, for remote site gateways, H.323 is most appropriate protocol than MGCP.

Anyways, if I were to do a basic check, I would check if the gateway IOS is on 15.x terrain ? Becos that's recommended IOS version with CUCM 8.x. Having an updated IOS with MGCP enhancements ( if any, not so sure ) might fix it.

You might want to see the IOS recommendations w.r.t. CUCM versions in the doc available here . Check the row named " Communications Infrastructure ".

HTH

GP.

Pls rate helpful posts by clicking on stars below the post !!

I know that H.323. is better than MGCP for these type of features. Initial design was completed by someone else. MGCP does support CID on FXO. I can see it on the inbound call leg of everycall, but it only works on the First call. Not the others until I reset the mgcp gateway.

What "design" actually means? Is't not like the protocol between CM and VG is carved in stone ,or a pivotal point on which a system is based.

You would have more features and that's it.

Anyway for systems of the size cost and complexity of CM, usually PRI is used, not FXO.

Robert Thomas
Level 7
Level 7

I remember we had a bug like this back in 8.0.3 when we rolled out this feature. I would expect it to be fixed the CUCM version you are runnning. What about the version for the IOS?

Could you post a debug mgcp packets? And a Show run for the GW.

Jason,

I hope you found the answer to this. TAC told me the same thing as Paolo "The workaround is to run the gateway as H.323" which is unacceptable in my book. I was able to find the answer by digging around the support forums.

I had the same issue. The following commands resolved this for me.

voice-port 0/2/0

timing guard-out 1000

shut

no shut

mgcp persistent offhook

Props to the original poster

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2082371

Hi Robert,

We are running in to the same issue,  runnning  MGCP on FXO ports caller -id says Unknown Number , CUCM  ver(7.1.3 )

1) You said you were able to resolve the issue using the above commands. Can you tell me what version of CUCM are you using?

2) Also, when you say enabled "caller -id " on gateway page from CUCM. Where exactly is that option. I am having difficulty finding it. Is it only available in CUCM 8.X and later ? or am I missing it ?

3) Was any one able to resolve this on CUCM 7.X ?

Any suggestions??

---

Indu

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: