cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MGCP Versions

jeffrey-hughes
Level 1
Level 1

I am implementing UCM 7.0(2), with a 2821 Vgwy. I am wondering what the differences are in the MGCP versions. I have not been able to find a document that explains the differences. Does anyone have any insight on this?

3 Replies 3

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can take a look at the RFC.

http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2705.txt

Most important factor is that the MGCP version used by controllers and agents match.

Hope this helps.

Brandon

paul.higgsboyo
Level 1
Level 1

Whats the reason for using MGCP? H323 is much friendlier, more configurable and much easier to troubleshoot.

I personally only ever use MGCP when connecting to other telephony systems via QSIG.

I believe most people is going to tell you H323 is definitely not friendlier.

MGCP is mostly used because it's easier for anyone configuring this to have a setup in no time, any change you want is as easy as going to the GW or endpoint and changing it. Or choosing the new card on the GW and just doing the config on CUCM will create the dial-peers needed in the GW.

H323 is definitely more powerful than mGCP and has waaaaaay more features and functionality but does require more knowledge on how to configure it.

MGCP does most of the work for you, but all control falls on CUCMs shoulders and it loses flexibility on that.

My personal choice is also H323.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: