cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrating CME from 2821 to 2851

mpitts
Level 1
Level 1

I have a functional CME/CUE currently operating on a 2821 platform. The customer needs to add more phones, beyond the limits of the 2821, so will be replacing it with the 2851 chassis.

My concern is how to do this as simply and least disruptively as possible.

On the surface, it seems that I should be able to move the hardware modules from the 2821 to 2851 easily and then move the flash with all the software into the 2851, load my saved configuration from the 2821 to the 2851 and make some needed changes, and things should work fine.

History tells me that there are likely "gotchas" that I may be missing. I would appreciate comments on this scenario, particularly from anyone who has tried this kind of upgrade.

Thanks,

Mike

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Mike,

Load the same IOS on 2851 and then you can download the same CME version GUI files into the 2851's flash. Copy and paste configs on to the 2851. You should be good to go. You can also increase the max dns and ephones.

HTH

Sankar.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Mike,

Load the same IOS on 2851 and then you can download the same CME version GUI files into the 2851's flash. Copy and paste configs on to the 2851. You should be good to go. You can also increase the max dns and ephones.

HTH

Sankar.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

Thanks Sankar,

The process of loading all the software on the new 2851 is one of the time consuming things I was trying to avoid.

Do you believe that moving the flash module from the 2821 (already loaded) to the 2851 would not work?

Certainly don't want to corrupt the flash, or mess something up if that could happen.

Mike

use a flash card reader (10 bux at your local store), then download your 2851 ios, copy it and the cme files from your current router to the 2851's flash card. then upload the config. that should be pretty fast, i think.

Dragi

That should work.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

Thanks Dragi and Sankar.

Will see how this works out and let you know.

Mike

May I beg to differ with the copy flash approach.

Installing a new router is an excellent occasion to make sure you are running the latest maintenance release of the chosen software. The little time spent in downloading and copying the new image is usually paid back as you will benefit of all the bug fixes.

he has two routers of a different type. of course he will have to download the ios. he has to make sure that the ios versions match, and double-check with the customer whether they want to upgrade their ccme version. if they do want it (based on his presentation of the new features in CCME 4.0.3, for example) then he can use a newer ios.

Dragi

Actually, 2811, 2821 and 2851 all use the same images. 2801 uses different, smaller images because lack of NM support.

I agree that it would be better to check with the customer before deciding the IOS to use.

you are right. i don't know what i was thinking. i appologize to everyone invloved.

Dragi

mpitts
Level 1
Level 1

Just a note of thanks to Sankar and Dragi.

Moving the CF module from the 2821 to the 2851 worked out just fine. All I had to do was load my configuration back in and make a couple of changes.

To be on the safe side, I also took Dragi's suggestion and bought a CF Reader ($15 at CompUSA) and copied the files from both router's flash modules to my laptop in case I hosed something and had to go back.

For what it's worth, the CME was 4.0(2) and I didn't want to complicate a working system with too much by trying to upgrade IOS and CME in this process. Maybe when the dust settles a bit more.

Much appreciated help!

Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: