Cisco Support Community
Community Member

Migration from Unity 5 to Unity Connection 8

We would like to migrate

Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010

Cisco Unity 5 to Cisco Unity Connection 8

Cisco Unified Communication Manager 6 to Cisco Unified Communication Manager 8

I was wondering what is the best sequence to do this?

So far we have installed Exchange 2010 to the existing Exchange 2003 environment but have not moved any of user mailboxes over yet.

Cisco Unity 5 is currently running one of the Exchange 2003 server as a partner.

We plan to update the Cisco Unity 5 by downloading the engineering specials so Unity 5 will work with Exchange 2010 then move all the mailboxes over.

Using Microsoft Exchange 2010 with Cisco Unity Versions 8.0, 7.0, and 5.0

Next we plan to upgrade Cisco Unity 5 to Cisco Unity 8 and install Cisco Unity Connection 8 on another server and follow gradually moving data guide.

The reason we chose gradually moving instead of flash migrate is because Cobra does not bring all the data over and we don't know what it is going to look like after migration.

Migrating from Cisco Unity to Cisco Unity Connection 8.x by Gradually Moving Data

Reconfiguration and Upgrade Guide for Cisco Unity Connection Release 8.x

After that we will update unified communication manager.

Will there be any issues with user accessing voicemail their after moving the user mailboxes to the exchange 2010 servers without upgrading to Unity 8 first?

Which server should be the partner and how to move the existing partner configuration from 2003 to 2010?

The guide does not make it clear exactly how to connect Cisco Unity 8 to Cisco Unity Connection 8.

Do I need to setup VPIM or Digital Network? What modifications do I need to make on Unified Communication Manager?

Any issues with doing it this way and are there any other ways of doing this?

Please point me in the right direction and your answer is really appreicated!

Everyone's tags (4)

Migrate all users to Unity Connection 8.x

Unity Connection Connection can be both on connected to Exchange 2003 and Exchange 2010.  When you move mailboxes, Unity Connection UM profiles will need to be updated. Its not quite automatic depending on the Exchange versions.

Not sure how many Unity mailboxes you are moving or servers to collapse, but COBRAS is the tool of choice for this.  You can simply move who you want and when.  Id recommend everyone at once.

Change your Voicemail Profile or update it to the new Unity Connection.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Agreed with Tommer here, check out COBRAS training videos and help files on for detailed explanations on what is migrated and what is not.

CreatePlease to create content