Views
Helpful
Replies

MOH Over the WAN

ashish.sehgal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

MOH is working inside the internal network but not over the remote/WAN. Given the following commands under Telephony-Services:

moh Flute-Ahirbhairavi.wav

multicast moh 239.1.1.1 port 2000

Commands configured for SCCP and DSP:

sccp local FastEthernet0/1.100

sccp ccm 192.168.4.1 identifier 1 priority 1

sccp

!

sccp ccm group 123

bind interface FastEthernet0/1.100

associate ccm 1 priority 1

associate profile 1 register mtp002255199861

keepalive retries 5

!

dspfarm profile 1 transcode

codec g711ulaw

codec g711alaw

codec g729ar8

codec g729abr8

codec g729br8

codec g729r8

maximum sessions 4

associate application SCCP

let me know in case any other command is required to achieve MOH over the WAN.

Thanks and Regards,

Ashish

6 Replies 6

allan.thomas
Level 8
Level 8

Probably not the answer you were looking for, but unfortunately there is no straight forward solution to your problem.

In order for multicast MOH packets to be routed across the WAN you will require multicast routing to be enabled in your network.

Allan.

Hi Allan,

Thanks for the reply, do you mean I should give "Ip multicast-routing" command on the CME?

Regards,

Ashish

High Ashish, again it is not as simple as configuring a single command. You will need to provision IP Multicast routing end-to-end, and should be carefully considered.

Below is a URL reference document regarding configuring IP multicast on a 3560 but the principles are the same. It discusses the various multicast alternatives:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12.2_40_se/configuration/guide/swmcast.html#wp1099221

HTH

Allan.

dwhit1
Level 1
Level 1

You might look at this link for MOH multicast solutions. You're WAN needs to either support multicast, or you need to GRE tunnel the MOH.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/technologies/tk436/tk428/technologies_white_paper0900aecd80131281_tk828_TSD_Technologies_White_Paper.html

I haven't tried this myself, but the best answer would be to replicate the MOH rather than route it. Copy the .wav file to , and issue the moh and multicast commands on, the remote router.

ttrentler
Level 4
Level 4

A common solution is to serve MOH from the local routers across the WAN.

2 reasons for this.

1. You conserve WAN bandwidth.

2. G.729 is a codec built for characteristics of human speech. Music is awful at G.729.

You basically configure a music on hold multicast source on CCM. Then under SRST mode on a local router configure a moh source to be served up from flash using the same multicast address and port as configured on CCM.

Since you don't have multicast traffic across the WAN as a default, Remote phones will be tricked into getting moh from the local router.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: