Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

MOH Quality

Problems:

1. Poor quality

2. Not streaming on WAN or externally.

I have followed the FAQ's and reviewed some of the other MOH related posts, but I am still having issues with poor quality on MOH. I converted a custom mp3 to a wav file and have uploaded it to both of our CUCM servers. Currently the file will only play on the same lan as the servers. It does not play across the WAN or come through on outside calls over our PRI. The quality of the sound that does play on the LAN is terrible. It pops and cracks and the music behind the popping is dull. The original wav file is clear as a bell.

I am using multicast and I have increased the hops in the MOH Server Audio Source field.

The Audio Source File lists ulaw, alaw, g729, and wb under OutputFilesList under MOH Audio Source Configuration.

711 mulaw and 711 alaw highlighted under the Supported MOH Codecs under IP Voice Media Streaming under Enterprise Parameters.

I have made adjustments to volume, etc and deleted the file and reuploaded it and restarted the MOH Servers and the IP Media Streaming Services.

I am running CUCM 8.5 in a multi location environment with plenty of bandwidth between locations.

Is it the file itself after the conversion or is it a bandwidth setting somewhere in a media resource group? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

7 REPLIES

Re: MOH Quality

Check the region relationship  between your Phones and MOH Server device pool region

If I am looking in the right place it looks like the Region Relationship for MOH is 64 kbps (G.722, G711) for all of the other regions. Could it be set somewhere else?

MOH Quality

Region settings are fine .Can you try unicast MOH and check the  audio quality

I unchecked the allow mutlicasting box under the audiso source and the quality did not improve, but it did allow the moh to play externally.

I just found this thread. I am going to work on the format and see where it takes me. Thanks for the help so far!

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2164984

I tried importing an 8bit WAV file into cucm. It did not like that format so I went back to the 16bit PCM WAV and it still has the crackling and popping on top of the music.Back to square one.

If you are sure that your original MoH audio file you uploaded has good quality, all you need is to insure your MoH server is using a device pool configured in a G711 region. G729 is optimized for human speech and it is well known that music played using G729 codec has bad quality.

Please rate helpful answers!

I finally got a decent sounding setup. I had to upload the file several times and restart the IP Streaming App in control center. I'm not sure if that is the same as restarting the MOH servers, but that was how I seemed to get the changes in the audio translator.

I used Audacity to convert the original to a 8000 16bit Mono WAV. I stopped the IP Streaming Service in Control Center and uploaded the file to both servers. I added the audio source and left multicasting unchecked. I started the IP Streaming Service and it sounds good on the network even across the WAN, but the external calls are marginal. I'm happy with it.

One more note: It seems like the changes in the Service Parameters under IP Voice Streaming>Advanced where the MOH Volume is does not set the live level. It seems like it only sets the file conversion settings. I wound up using -6db and going through the stop/upload/start process.

Thanks for the help..

Well, the quality for the MOH heard externally over the PRI seems to be worse today. I've had a few complaints. When played on a phone inside the company it sounds great. Outside is terrible. I have mulitcasting disabled. Any suggestions?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content