Views
Helpful
Replies

Monitor presence in CME 4.1

fieryhail
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I realize this may be simple, but am not used to CME.  I have 7 phones (7970) in 2 sites connected with a local CME on each site.  The phones are currently running SCCP.  I have 2 buttons used on each phone each with their own unique ephone-dn.  What I would like to do, is to setup the remaining 6 buttons on each phone to monitor the primary dn on each phone, both the local and the remote.  I have setup presence globally on the routers, and I believe I use the button command with the "Monitor" command for the ephones to setup this effect locally.  How would I do this for the phones at the remote site?  Is there a better way of achieving this goal?  Any suggestions are very welcome.  Thanks in advance.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Adrian Saavedra
Level 7
Level 7

Hello,

You can work with Presence services over SIP trunks. Read about this here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/admin/configuration/guide/cmepres.html

Hope to help, if it does please rate.

Kind regards,

- Adrian.

View solution in original post

Hello,

I think BLF monitoring is what I'm looking for, do all the phones need to be SIP?  If so, I can do that as they are 7970.

SCCP or SIP.

Also, will I need to enable a speed-dial list?  The system is running on CME 4.1.  I understand from the document that some BLF features are only available in CME 7.1

You need BLF Speed-dial features. The command blf-speed-dial enables BLF monitoring of a directory number associated with a speed-dial number. Cisco Unified CME 4.1 and later versions support BLF monitoring of directory numbers associated with speed-dial buttons, call logs, and directory listings. Presence supports BLF notification features for speed-dial buttons and directory call lists for missed calls, placed calls, and received calls.

I understand how to setup the presence on the router, and enable the ephones to be "watched" but one thing I am as of yet still unsure of, is how to get the presence indication on the other phones, the "watchers" as it were.

Just follow the steps in this link: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/admin/configuration/guide/cmepres.html#wp999282

For instance, if I enable ell the ephones at each location to be watched, how would I setup each ephone to "watch" all the others?  Including the phones at the remote locations?  Sorry if I'm being thickheaded here, am just confused.  I'm sure once I grasp it it will be something I'll be kicking myself over.  Thanks again.

Cisco Unified CME acts as a presence agent for internal lines (both SIP and SCCP) and as a presence server for external watchers connected through a SIP trunk. Follow the steps in this link to enable internal watchers to monitor external directory numbers on a remote Cisco Unified CME router: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/admin/configuration/guide/cmepres.html#wp1014741

Also, the phones right now are each in an ephone-hunt on the primary ephone-dn.  How will that affect anything, if at all?

Nothing.

Hope it helps, please rate if it does.

Kind regards,

- Adrian.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Adrian Saavedra
Level 7
Level 7

Hello,

You can work with Presence services over SIP trunks. Read about this here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/admin/configuration/guide/cmepres.html

Hope to help, if it does please rate.

Kind regards,

- Adrian.

Thank you for the link, I have read through that but still have some questions.

I think BLF monitoring is what I'm looking for, do all the phones need to be SIP?  If so, I can do that as they are 7970.

Also, will I need to enable a speed-dial list?  The system is running on CME 4.1.  I understand from the document that some BLF features are only available in CME 7.1

I understand how to setup the presence on the router, and enable the ephones to be "watched" but one thing I am as of yet still unsure of, is how to get the presence indication on the other phones, the "watchers" as it were.

For instance, if I enable ell the ephones at each location to be watched, how would I setup each ephone to "watch" all the others?  Including the phones at the remote locations?  Sorry if I'm being thickheaded here, am just confused.  I'm sure once I grasp it it will be something I'll be kicking myself over.  Thanks again.

Also, the phones right now are each in an ephone-hunt on the primary ephone-dn.  How will that affect anything, if at all?

Thanks again

Hello,

SCCP or SIP.

You need BLF Speed-dial features. The command blf-speed-dial enables BLF monitoring of a directory number associated with a speed-dial number. Cisco Unified CME 4.1 and later versions support BLF monitoring of directory numbers associated with speed-dial buttons, call logs, and directory listings. Presence supports BLF notification features for speed-dial buttons and directory call lists for missed calls, placed calls, and received calls.

Just follow the steps in this link: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/admin/configuration/guide/cmepres.html#wp999282

Cisco Unified CME acts as a presence agent for internal lines (both SIP and SCCP) and as a presence server for external watchers connected through a SIP trunk. Follow the steps in this link to enable internal watchers to monitor external directory numbers on a remote Cisco Unified CME router: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/admin/configuration/guide/cmepres.html#wp1014741

Nothing.

Hope it helps, please rate if it does.

Kind regards,

- Adrian.

Thank you very much for the clarification.  I greatly appreciate it.  It helped very much.  Everything appears to be functioning now.