cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Monitoring FXO for PSTN "stutter tone" (CUCME)

tonypearce1
Level 3
Level 3

Is it possible to have the CUCME system monitor the FXO port for a stutter tone dial tone? My telco changes the dial tone when they have a voice message waiting. Since my phones are IP based I hear the CUCME dial tone rather than the PSTN dial tone. If the system can monitor for stutter tone then I'll look to have the MWI indicator turn on.

I did a Google search and there are forum posts relating to a Linksys system monitoring the FXO as per above.

I know how to sieze the PSTN to hear that dial tone but do not wish to implement this.

6 Replies 6

Gajanan Pande
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Tony,

If the goal is to turn on MWI indicator, isn't your VM system doing it ( so that you are looking for an alternative ) ? BTW, which is the VM system used.

GP

Gajan, the voice mail system is provided by the PSTN carrier, at the other end of a PSTN line accessed via a FXO port. The only way they inform me of a waiting voice mail is by changing the tone of the dial tone

Paulo, thank you for this. I wonder how the Linksys SOHO IP Telephony systems discover the stutter tone? I've tried to think hard, there must be a way with EEM, Kron or TCL scripts within the IOS. At the moment, I have the other people in the house either press the "message" button so the PSTN voicemail system is dialed to check for waiting messages, or, I have configured a speed-dial button which will sieze the FXO so we can hear the PSTN stutter dial tone - not the best effective method but better than nothing!

Yes a system would have to periodically go off-hook to discover the change in dialtone, and relay the information to a visibile indication.

Since the CME or UC500 also can have a very good VM system (CUE) that provide message notification, email access, etc, it is not of much interest to most customers to support CO-based VMs.

I think the hard part is the detection mechanism. If I come up with anything I'll post back. It may take a while though.

Sure Tony, that would be interesting to know.

Appreciate your input.

GP.

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No, that is not supported.