Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Monitoring FXO for PSTN "stutter tone" (CUCME)

Is it possible to have the CUCME system monitor the FXO port for a stutter tone dial tone? My telco changes the dial tone when they have a voice message waiting. Since my phones are IP based I hear the CUCME dial tone rather than the PSTN dial tone. If the system can monitor for stutter tone then I'll look to have the MWI indicator turn on.

I did a Google search and there are forum posts relating to a Linksys system monitoring the FXO as per above.

I know how to sieze the PSTN to hear that dial tone but do not wish to implement this.

6 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Hi Tony,

If the goal is to turn on MWI indicator, isn't your VM system doing it ( so that you are looking for an alternative ) ? BTW, which is the VM system used.

GP

Gajan, the voice mail system is provided by the PSTN carrier, at the other end of a PSTN line accessed via a FXO port. The only way they inform me of a waiting voice mail is by changing the tone of the dial tone

Paulo, thank you for this. I wonder how the Linksys SOHO IP Telephony systems discover the stutter tone? I've tried to think hard, there must be a way with EEM, Kron or TCL scripts within the IOS. At the moment, I have the other people in the house either press the "message" button so the PSTN voicemail system is dialed to check for waiting messages, or, I have configured a speed-dial button which will sieze the FXO so we can hear the PSTN stutter dial tone - not the best effective method but better than nothing!

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: Monitoring FXO for PSTN "stutter tone" (CUCME)

Yes a system would have to periodically go off-hook to discover the change in dialtone, and relay the information to a visibile indication.

Since the CME or UC500 also can have a very good VM system (CUE) that provide message notification, email access, etc, it is not of much interest to most customers to support CO-based VMs.

I think the hard part is the detection mechanism. If I come up with anything I'll post back. It may take a while though.

Cisco Employee

Sure Tony, that would be interesting to know.

Appreciate your input.

GP.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

No, that is not supported.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content