Views
Helpful
Replies

Moving 7942 from SCCP+CUCM to 3rd party SIP Server

doroteo77
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a 3rd party SIP Server that I need to move a 7942 phone to.  The phone is currently registered with CUCM 8.6 and the phone is configured with SCCP firmware.  Here are the questions I need help with:

1. Do I have to do a factory reset to get the SIP FW on the phone currently running SCCP?  Some of what I've read seems to say that you can do it without doing a factory reset but my tests haven't worked (changing the phone to SIP and specifying the load name).

2. If I change the phone to SIP FW using CUCM, should it be as simple as changing the TFTP Server?  In my tests, after getting the SIP FW on the phone, it fails to register with the 3rd party SIP server.  It's complaining about CTL and looking for SGN files so I cleared the phones "Trust List" but it still isn't working.   Or, do I need another "Hard Reset"?

Teo

2 Replies 2

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The Cisco forums only tend to provide answers for Cisco call agents (CUCM/CME), not third-party proxies.

1. Yes you can convert without a factory reset. Delete and readd the phone as SIP, ensure that the SIP firmware load you want is loaded to CUCM and the default; the phone will download after a reset.

2. You will need to change the TFTP server and supply manual XML files. Additional detail is here:

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Cisco+7942+with+local+PBX

Good luck.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Hi All,

Though Cisco IP phone comply RFC standards , Deployment of these ip phone with third party call control application is not supported by Cisco.

Regards
Ronak Patel

Rate all helpful post by clicking stars below the answer.

Regards Ronak Patel Rate all helpful post by clicking stars below the answer.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: