cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS and PBX channels

mikedurbin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone. I wanted to see if its possible to do PBX voice channels over MPLS? My current situation is that we and a T1 and do data over one channel-group and PBX voice over another. We want to move to an MPLS, but I dont know if we can do that with what we have. Our voice system doesnt support voip of any kind. Any help would be appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If I understand your case correctly, what you can do, is to use a dual T1 VWIC in the router. One port goes to telco with said integrated T1 service, the other goes to PBX with a voice-only T1. When certain numbers are called, the call goes VoIP to other PBXs. All other numbers are sent unchanged to telco. This way router is transparent to PBX and everything works easily.

However if you want nice features for the PBX links you should use T1 with ISDN PRI instead of CAS. Since many PBX vendors do charge to activate ISDN, at some point it becomes convenient to decommission the PBX altogether adn place IP phones to be controlled by the router (CCME), that does all what the PBX does and more.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, you can get routers as small as the 2801 and connect you PBXs over IP, doesn't matter if it is MPLS or what else. The router perfectly supports T1 in the configuaration that you have, sometime called "integrated T1 access".

The details of the solutions should be worked together with a certified Cisco partner or resellers.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Would an 1841s do for a VoIP solution?

No, because it doesn't support the voice interface necessary to connect the PBX. The 1861 is almost there, however you might not need the 8 Poe ports, so the best solution for flexibility is likely the 2801.

As a recognition to those providing answers, please rate posts using the scrollbox below!

Sorry, planned on rating, my apologies. So, what kind of interface is needed to the interface to a PBX that will do voip across the MPLS?

If I understand your case correctly, what you can do, is to use a dual T1 VWIC in the router. One port goes to telco with said integrated T1 service, the other goes to PBX with a voice-only T1. When certain numbers are called, the call goes VoIP to other PBXs. All other numbers are sent unchanged to telco. This way router is transparent to PBX and everything works easily.

However if you want nice features for the PBX links you should use T1 with ISDN PRI instead of CAS. Since many PBX vendors do charge to activate ISDN, at some point it becomes convenient to decommission the PBX altogether adn place IP phones to be controlled by the router (CCME), that does all what the PBX does and more.

Thanks, that is very helpful, and I appreciate it.

Thanks for the nice rating and good luck!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: