cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

multiple lines on softphone?

lukeprimm
Level 1
Level 1

Ive got a user that is requesting a second line on her softphone so she can do conferencing and call maerge (sorry for the terminology).  Do I just add a second line on the phone and not add a DN to it?  Thanks

9 Replies 9

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What softphone (IP Communicator, Jabber, CUCILync, WebEX connect, etc) are you using with what system (CUCM, CME, UC500, etc)?

By the way you do not need another line to perform transfers/conference as Cisco allows you to manage multiple calls on a single line.

Chris

THanks Chris, sorry.

IP Communicator with CM 7.1.5 on the backend.  Hmm, Ive tried doing call merge on our softphone and I never have been successful.  I attributed it having a single line softphone. 

How are you attempting to merge calls?  Are you using Join feature?

What is max number of calls set to on the line?

Chris

Yes, you can create a second line, which will work as the transfer key with our assign a DN to it..

HTH

How is building a second line going to serve as transfer key?

Chris

instead of using the button on the bottom, user can tranasfer call via the line button.

Right, it is not a line it is a feature key where you designate a line button to be a transfer feature.  Sure you can do that, but that is no different from using the softkey as far as functionality goes and I do not beleive that is what was asked.

Either way good post!

Chris

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Luke,

It's possible that the actual problem for this user being able to access Conference or Join

is related to;

IP Communicator having "Optimize for Low Bandwidth" checked.

This will force the IP Communicator to use G729 which may not work with your Software

Conference Bridges

IP Communicator > Preferences > Audio > Optimize for Low Bandwidth (uncheck)

Cheers!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: