Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple PRI Groups on single T1 interface

ShailendraK
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have come across a situation where another equipment is being replaced with a Cisco 2821 router with VWIC2-1MFT-T1 card.

The previous equipment is configured to receive voice calls on first 10 channels but sends back any voice calls only on the remaining channels.

Is there a way to configure the same on the router like some sort of pri group where the pots dial-peer could be made to point to some sort of group or even if it is possible to force a dial-peer to use one or a particular group of challels?

I am interested in any solution and it is urgent.

Due to the urgency I will be folling any replies and test them throughout the weekend so any help will really be greatefully appretiated.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Shad

24 Replies 24

Hey Paolo,

Are you referring to Ken's example? I am interested to know how the same can be done if PRI is being used? Will you be kind enough to provide a few lines of configuration or even refer to the commands or a doc?

Thanks for all the help in the meantime.

Regds,

Shad

Under controller, configure multiple pri-groups using non-overlapping channels. That's all. Ken's example is about CAS that luckily you don't have.

Again, in most cases it doesn't anything good for the reasons explained above.

Hey Paolo,

I have scratched my head enough and tried the commands I could find. What Nick suggested is the closest I could get but this does not give me any flexibility in sending out the calls through only a set of channels as only one voice-port shows up in the configuration.

Any commands you could help me out with mate? I will be grateful.

Regds,

Shad

Sorry, I can't understand what your problem really is.

Can you configure multiple pri-groups ? If not, may be the IOS you use doesn't have the feature.

And, again for the 5th time, it is not necessary to have multiple pri groups to limit number of outgoing calls. Do you understand that ?

Hey Paolo,

Let me first clear your doubt that I am not trying to use PRI groups to limit the outgoing calls anymore. I don't know what in my recent posts gave you this idea. As I mentioned in my previous post that using max-conn obviously did the job.

Anyway, the commands I was looking for are as follows. Unfortunately they never showed up anywhere in the searches when looking for multiple PRI groups. Hope these help someone else too.

controller T1 0/0/0

framing esf

linecode b8zs

pri-group timeslots 1-24

trunk-group GROUP1 timeslots 1-10

trunk-group GROUP2 timeslots 10-18

trunk-group GROUP3 timeslots 19-23

Thanks again guys. Enjoy your weekend Paolo.

Regds,

Shad

You are right, it's not multiple pri-groups, but trunk-groups under controller. I couldn't remember because I never use it.

Now please let me understand what advantage that gives you :)

As mentioned in my previous posts I was just interested to find out how to to this.

It does not give me any advantage in this particular scenario. Just good to know how the multiple PRI groups could be configured since they were mentioned in this post. My main issue was resolved by your suggestion earlier.

Thanks

Curiosity is (almost) always a good thing. I've rated your post above.

Thank you for the appreciation and good luck.

Shad,

I just found a use for it, thanks for saving me some time.  A customer had authorization codes at the telco level and needed some FAX machines to not use the codes.  The trunk-groups will allow me to set aside some channels that will not need FAC.  I proposed FAC based on ANI, but that was not an option for the carrier.

Thanks,

-ryan

I am trying to use the trunk group command as follows:

controller T1 0/0/0

cablelength long 0db

pri-group timeslots 1-7,24 service mgcp

trunk-group GROUP1 timeslots 1-6

trunk-group GROUP2 timeslots 7

I need to be able to direct outbound calls to Group1 or Group2, however in Call Manager (9.x) if I try to create a route group pointing to the T1, I am only allowed to choose "All" ports and I don't see a way to route to one group or the other.  Is this possible to direct calls to one group or the other?