cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MWI doesn't turn on with new voice message

goncalo_tavares
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there. I'm having an issue regarding the Message Waiting Indicator (MWI) when a new voice message is sent to a specific user voice mailbox. The extension to turn on the MWI is 8901 and is working. 8902 turn it off. But nothing happens on the IP Phone with a new voice message on the voice mailbox. Using CUCMBE 6.0(1), Cisco Unity 2.1. Everything is enabled on Unity regarding MWI, the integration with the phone system too. Any ideas why the MWI doesn't turn on in the phone? Thanks.

7 Replies 7

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

first thing to check is always CSS and partitions from VM ports and MWI DNs

Ports need to reach MWI, MWI needs to reach phone.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi

Could you pls also check if the vm ports are registered. I looks like unity is not dialing out to indicate message is waiting.

cheers

Ikram

Ok, here is what I have configured on CUCM:

- CSS for 8901/8902 (MWI DN's): CSS_Sines_1 (the same CSS of all other DN's associated to IP phone lines)

- CSS for VM ports: CSS-VoiceMail-1.

- Partition for 8901/8902: P-VoiceMail-Pilot-1

- Partition for VM ports: P-VoiceMail-1

Just to remind that entering 8901 on an IP phone, the MWI (light and prompt) for a new voice mail message DOES turn on (8902 turn it off).

Thanks in advance.

araffill
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Lets break this issue into 2 parts

1. If Unity is sending the MWI signals

2. If the Phone is responding to MWI signals.

You can check part 1 by checking the subscriber message activity report

You can check part 2 by dialling the MWI on/off extensions from the phone. (provided you have assigned the CSS for calling the mwi on/off extns to the user. You can temporarily assign it for testing if mwi light is working on the user phone and then revert the css to its original value )

Also, is the issue happening with only 1 user or is it happening for all users?

Cheers

I'm doing these tests using Cisco IP Communicator on my laptop (I'm not physically on my client installations). Created and assigned a directory number to line 1 of my CIPC, created an end-user associated to the DN, everything is working (calls from outside, calls from inside, accessing voice mail to hear messages I've left for testing purposes, MWI turning on/off when dialing 8901/8902 from my CIPC, ...). My client has Cisco 7941 IP phones on his installations but MWI (with a new voice mail message) doesn't turn on either (it's his request).

Two voice mail ports registered on CUCM: 8000 and 8001.

Right now I have the MWI DN's (8901 - MWI on; 8902 - MWI off) in the same partition of the VM ports. In Unity, the "Current Status" of the "Message Waiting Indicator" of the user I created for testing purposes is ON (indeed, I have 5 new voice mail messages on my voice mailbox that I recorded), but... my CIPC on my laptop doesn't show the MWI. It seems to me a problem between Unity -> CUCM, when trying to use MWI extension 8901... What do you think?

Hi Goncalo,

Do you have either 8000 or 8001 Unity Ports set up for MWI (Message Notification)?

Message Notification

Check this check box to designate the port for notifying subscribers of messages. Assign Message Notification to the least busy ports.

From this "older" doc (like me :)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/401/integration/guide/itcicm40.html#wp1348334

Hope this helps!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: