Views
Helpful
Replies

need help in Hotel IP telephony project

monsour2012
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all cisco community members,

I am holding a cnnp voice and i am responsible to implement ip telephony soluation to a hotel that has (12 floors and 310 ip telephony and 6 AP for each floor) so what i am facing is cost saving in choosing which switch specification do i need (shall i use cisco poe small bussnies with 10/100 mbps and 2 sfp port for uplink connectivity  or i should use catalyst switch with POE and 10/100/1000 mbps and 10g for uplinks???).

Knowing that i am planning to use a layer3 switch (may be not cisco for cost saving as the owner asks for less cost) to aggregate all the switches into one cutting edage device.(for the hotel i don't think they are interested in file sharing so i think no need for gig speed and 100 mbps is sufficient).

and later may be we will use 175 ip cameras so for each floor 15 ip camera so later when i want to implement the ip cameras can i use also small bus poe switch with gig uplink speed?? (so each system has his own small bus poe switch but wouldn't it result in dealy ?

if the ip camera is making the problems we can seperate the ip camera system and use some low price product (may be planet switch but we are afraid from the less quality!)

Sorry for the long massage and your kind reply is highly appreciated.

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
shall i use cisco poe small bussnies with 10/100 mbps and 2 sfp port for uplink connectivity  or i should use catalyst switch with POE and 10/100/1000 mbps and 10g for uplinks

How many PoE clients per floor?

I'd go with 2960X with 10Gbs links. 

and later may be we will use 175 ip cameras so for each floor 15 ip camera so later when i want to implement the ip cameras can i use also small bus poe switch with gig uplink speed??

Do not mix IP cameras with the phones.

1.  You could potentially run out of PoE power;

2.  Multicast

Thanks to you Leo and appreciate your help .