cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need help selecting the correct equipment for IP Phones using POTS

daveherron
Level 1
Level 1

What I need to do is setup 4 Cisco IP Phones in a LAB to communicate with each other.  They also need to be able to connect to POTS lines for outbound calls be it local or long distance.  They will not have a BRI, PRI, SIP or T1 connected - their only source of outbound calling will be POTS.  Also, the IP Phone(s) needs to ring when someone calls the POTS phone number.

Ive been looking at the UC520 - specifically the model UC520W-8U-4FXO-K9 which has integrated wireless.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6788/vcallcon/ps7293/product_data_sheet0900aecd8061fb06.html

Ive spoken with several pre-sales reps from Cisco and CDW and have received different answers.  Some told me that this cant place calls over POTS lines while others told me that I could only place calls over POTS in a failover scenario if power is lost.  1 rep told me that this is exactly what I need to suit my needs as it comes with a VIC2 4FXO card.

Can anyone advise me if this is the best option?  My main concern is that all IP Phones will be dialing out using POTS lines brought into a standard household analog telephone jack.  All IP phones should be able to dial each other using internal extensions.  Also, incoming calls to the POTS lines needs to be routed to the IP Phone(s) dpending on which number has been used.

This unit is a bit pricey but not outside of the budget.  Im open to suggestions if there is another less expensive model tha will accomplish the same goals.  There is currently a Cisco 8-Port 10/100/1000 Small Business Switch (SLM2008) and a Cisco ASA5505 10-User in the lab as well if any of those items will help in choosing a different piece of equipment.

Thanks for the help!

Dave

As a side note - I would also like to be able to setup Cisco Mobile on an iPhone to use the iPhone on the internal wireless network to place calls.  I would also like to be able to setup SSL/VPN to connect the iPhone from an open wifi hotspot and make/receive calls.  This is not as important but I would like the option of setting this up with the equipment that I choose.  I was told that the UC520 does support that out of the box without any need to purchase extra software/hardware/licenses.

I would also like the ability to bring in a SIP trunk in the future.  Im currently using a SIP trunk in the lab on an IP PBX that I may decide to start using with the Cisco equipment that I purchase.

5 Replies 5

Brandon Svec
Level 7
Level 7

Well, one out of the three reps was right

"1 rep told me that this is exactly what I need to suit my needs as it  comes with a VIC2 4FXO card."

UC500 is the cheapest Cisco you will get with the exception of shopping for a used 2611XM on ebay, but I wouldn't go that route.

If you are open to non Cisco options there are cheaper solutions that can do what you are requiring and more.

If you go with UC500 this is a good place to learn:

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/community/smallbizsupport/voiceandconferencing/sbcs-uc500

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Also, incoming calls to the POTS lines needs to be routed to the IP 
Phone(s) dpending on which number has been used.

This would require an Analog DID circuit which is rare. Most FXO/analog circuits only have a single DNIS assigned to them and do not signal what that value is during incoming calls.

I would also like to be able to setup Cisco Mobile on an iPhone to use 
the iPhone on the internal wireless network to place calls.  I would 
also like to be able to setup SSL/VPN to connect the iPhone from an open
 wifi hotspot and make/receive calls.

This product requires Unified Communications Manager which is an entirely different product than the UC500 series. This is documented in table two of the data sheet. The Mobile 8 client includes an IPsec client in it natively which you would integrate with an ASA or IOS router with the appropriate feature set.

I am generally confused by this posting because you are speaking in the context of a lab which presumably you want so you can try something before putting it into production; or, you are trying to learn something to further your knowledge/career. In either of those scenarios you would need to know what you want but here you are asking others.  What are you trying to achieve here? What is this "lab" for? Cisco has different products that solve very different needs in the voice realm and buying one lends you very little insight into the others.

Also, incoming calls to the POTS lines needs to be routed to the IP Phone(s) dpending on which number has been used.

This would require an Analog DID circuit which is rare. Most FXO/analog circuits only have a single DNIS assigned to them and do not signal what that value is during incoming calls.

Is it not possible to have 4 standard telephone lines plugged into each of the 4 ports on the UC520.  If port 1 rings, it knows to send the calls to IP Phone 1 and if port 2 rings, send the call to IP Phone 2?

I would also like to be able to setup Cisco Mobile on an iPhone to use the iPhone on the internal wireless network to place calls.  I would also like to be able to setup SSL/VPN to connect the iPhone from an open wifi hotspot and make/receive calls.

This product requires Unified Communications Manager which is an entirely different product than the UC500 series. This is documented in table two of the data sheet. The Mobile 8 client includes an IPsec client in it natively which you would integrate with an ASA or IOS router with the appropriate feature set.

I understand that it needs Communications Manager.  The UC520 says that it comes with Unified Communications Manager Express as documented in Figure 3.  http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6788/vcallcon/ps7293/product_data_sheet0900aecd8061fb06.html  I do not know if Express is missing this feature but have been told by pre-sales that it will support this feature in Express.  I cant find a good comparrison of Express vs the full version.

Also, this unit has VPN Built-In which is why I was also told that it would support Mobile 8 out of the box.  This is also mentioned in Figure 3.

I am generally confused by this posting because you are speaking in the context of a lab which presumably you want so you can try something before putting it into production; or, you are trying to learn something to further your knowledge/career. In either of those scenarios you would need to know what you want but here you are asking others.  What are you trying to achieve here? What is this "lab" for? Cisco has different products that solve very different needs in the voice realm and buying one lends you very little insight into the others.

The Lab is a personal lab for personal experience.  I thought I stated what I wanted.  4 POTS lines and 4 IP Phones.  Make and Receive calls over POTS.  Direct calls to certain IP Phones depending on which phone number is called (IE if port 1 rings, send to IP PHone 1).   I am realy confused again because I keep getting different answers from different people including CIsco Professionals.

I do not have any experience with UC520 so before plopping down $3000 on a box, Im trying to make sure this will do what I want.  I appreciate any advice.

Is it not possible to have 4 standard telephone lines plugged into each 
of the 4 ports on the UC520.  If port 1 rings, it knows to send the
calls to IP Phone 1 and if port 2 rings, send the call to IP Phone 2?

Yes. For some reason I read your original post to state that there was only one FXO loop. In this case you can configure CME to route each circuit to a different ephone-dn.

I understand that it needs Communications Manager.  The UC520 says
that it comes with Unified Communications Manager Express as documented
in Figure 3.  http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6788/vcallcon/ps7293/product_data_sheet0900aecd8061fb06.html
I do not know if Express is missing this feature but have been told by
pre-sales that it will support this feature in Express.  I cant find a
good comparrison of Express vs the full version.

Also, this
unit has VPN Built-In which is why I was also told that it would support
Mobile 8 out of the box.  This is also mentioned in Figure 3.

Communications Manager and Communications Manager Express are two entirely different products. There are a great deal of features that exist in one product but not the other. They are configured entirely differently and have entirely different design philosophies. You will not be able to take knowledge gained from one and apply it to the other (generally speaking). Sorry, I am not aware of a side-by-side comparison document.

Again, Cisco Mobile 8 will not work with CME.

The Lab is a personal lab for personal experience.  I thought I
stated what I wanted.  4 POTS lines and 4 IP Phones.  Make and Receive
calls over POTS.  Direct calls to certain IP Phones depending on which
phone number is called (IE if port 1 rings, send to IP PHone 1).   I am
realy confused again because I keep getting different answers from
different people including CIsco Professionals.

CME is capable of doing all the things you listed. I am not aware of any specific limitation imposed on the UC520 packaging that would prevent CME from doing these things.

I do not have any experience 
with UC520 so before plopping down $3000 on a box, Im trying to make
sure this will do what I want.  I appreciate any advice.

I suggest you identify what Cisco product is most likely to make you money before taking any out of your own pocket. If you intend to get a job that primarily focuses on the UC500/Cisco Small Business product offerings, then this is probably worth while. Otherwise, I can think of a lot of other things to spend $3g on that are far more fun than anything Cisco makes. Just my opinion; feel free to ignore it.

Otherwise, I can think of a lot of other things to spend $3g on that are far more fun than anything Cisco makes

That is SO true.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: