Views
Helpful
Replies

New CUCM site design and deployment

lee.reade
Level 4
Level 4

Hi All,

Been out of the CUCM field for a few years, and now looking at putting a new CUCM setup into my current workplace.

I have a few questions surrounding;

a) what CUCM version to choose? 8.6/9.0/9.1?

I am thinking 8.6 or 9.0, but does anyone have any guidance?

b) looking at virtualising the UC deployment on our ESXi 5.0 estate, site will have 500-1000 users, so looking at 1 PUB 1 SUB 1 UNITY, thoughts?

c) Deployment model will be centralised, with two remote sites with <50 users, and will use either CME or SRST at each site for failover, thoughts?

d) I am having a hell of a time getting proper part codes for the UC components above (CUCM and UNITY), can anyone explain how the licencing works? You purchase the individual components for the virtual environment, and then must also purchase actual device licences for the phones?

I am going through the SRND guides etc to fill in the gaps!

Appreciate any advice here.

Thanks!

LR                  

6 Replies 6

ronpatel
Level 8
Level 8

Hi

CUMBE 6000 is is best option for you and go for latest application version to get new features.

Regards
Ronak Patel

Rate all helpful post by clicking stars below the answer.

Regards Ronak Patel Rate all helpful post by clicking stars below the answer.

Hello,

Yes I did look at that option, however I believe it would be far more expensice, since it involves purchasing a UCS chassis, whereas we already have our own ESXi infrastructure in place.

Also we would need to get two UCS to provide hardware redundancy.

Unless I am missing something?

Thanks,

LR

hi

Yes, if you got for CUMBe 6000, you will have to use the UCS servers only.

So let me answer freshly

a) what CUCM version to choose? 8.6/9.0/9.1?

I am thinking 8.6 or 9.0, but does anyone have any guidance?

Ronak :- go for the latest 9.x version as it has lots of new features. 

b) looking at virtualising the UC deployment on our ESXi 5.0 estate, site will have 500-1000 users, so looking at 1 PUB 1 SUB 1 UNITY, thoughts?

Ronak :-  yes this would be good. But please note you will have to see if your current hardware support Cisco UC infrastructure. Check the details for Spec based hardware.

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/UC_Virtualization_Supported_Hardware

c) Deployment model will be centralised, with two remote sites with <50 users, and will use either CME or SRST at each site for failover, thoughts?

Ronak :-  Yes this would be great. Use CME as SRST for more features.

d) I am having a **** of a time getting proper part codes for the UC components above (CUCM and UNITY), can anyone explain how the licencing works? You purchase the individual components for the virtual environment, and then must also purchase actual device licences for the phones?

Ronak :- Licensing has been change in the new CUCM 9 release. Check the ELM documentation guide for the details.

Regards
Ronak Patel

Rate all helpful post by clicking stars below the answer.

Hi,

Thanks for reply.

I will check out CUCM 9.1 in that case, and look to use CME for remote site backup.

Can you advise where I can get the UC product codes and descriptions, as I cannot see these anywhere, and need them in order to obtain quotes for costs etc.

Thanks,

LR

Hi

I believe you are looking at ordering guide.

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/sell/technology/ipc/uc_tech_readiness.html

I think you should contact cisco partner to get this done. And if you are working for Cisco partner you can open case with PH team for BOM creation at cisco.com/go/ph

Please note :-  Rate all helpful post by clicking stars below the answer.

Regards
Ronak Patel

I do not have access to that tool, so it is not possible to find out the actual part codes without first going through a partnet?

Thanks,

Lee

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: