cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New to IP phones , trying to understand how the built In switch works

Reprovoid
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.I would like to get a better understanding of how the built In switch works In an IP phone.

As I understand It:

One port connects to a main switch and Is a trunk port.

There Is an Internal access port that connects the voice vlan to the phone.

There Is another physical access port that connects the pc to the data vlan.

Is that correct ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

You are correct in understanding tht access port can not have two vlans. But here in case of Cisco deployment we have special commands which will make access port prat of two vlan, one would be data/native vlan and another would be voice vlan. No other third vlan can be part of it. 

The voice VLAN feature enables access ports to carry IP voice traffic from an IP phone on smae access port which carry dta vlan ports. It is how we have implemented/coded our IOS for working access port for two vlans.  

Regards

Ronak Patel

Rate helpful posts.

Regards Ronak Patel Rate all helpful post by clicking stars below the answer.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

ronpatel
Level 8
Level 8

hi,

IP phone will have two ethernet port. One will connect to port on  a Switch  and another will connect to PC ( PC port ).

The one port which is connected to switch is not a trunk port, it is access port only but have two vlan assigned, one is data vlan and one is Voice vlan. PC connected PC potr on phone will get ip from the data vlan and IP phone will get ip from Voice valn.

Let me know if you need more details.

Ronak Patel

Rate helpful posts.

Hi.Thanks for the Info!

If the port connected to the switch Is an access port then how can It have 2 Vlans assigned ? My knowledge of Vlans Is that an access port Is assigned to 1 Vlan only.My knowledge however Is not that great!

I Just read this thread which helped me understand (not completely) how there can be two vlans on an access port.I guess thats the whole point of using the voice vlan command , to allow this configuration.   https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/35115

Hi,

You are correct in understanding tht access port can not have two vlans. But here in case of Cisco deployment we have special commands which will make access port prat of two vlan, one would be data/native vlan and another would be voice vlan. No other third vlan can be part of it. 

The voice VLAN feature enables access ports to carry IP voice traffic from an IP phone on smae access port which carry dta vlan ports. It is how we have implemented/coded our IOS for working access port for two vlans.  

Regards

Ronak Patel

Rate helpful posts.

Thanks.I have a better understanding now.

abarkalg
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

You can take a look at this link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/7960g_7940g/sip/7_5/english/administration/guide/sipovr75.html#wpxref77776

Regards,

Abdul

please rate helpful posts!!!

Thank you! thats helpful.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: