cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

No Hold on outbound calls through GW

jeffrey.girard
Level 1
Level 1

In a lab, I have a CCM 4 system with 7960 phones and a 2811 gateway.  The GW has an FXO port which in turn is connected to a Vonage box for a DID number.

Inbound calls from the PSTN work fine - can answer and place the call on hold and the recipient hears MOH.

Calls between IP phones and IP phones on the CCM also work fine with hold buttons available and the MOH being passed.

However, calls being generated from an IP Phone outbound through the gateway that are answered, the hold softkey is not working.  Its present on the phones and I can press it, but it does not place the call on hold and the recipient on the PSTN phone hears the sounds from the phone mouthpiece.

In my 2811, I have

voice service voip

h323

emptycapability

I have already check that the GW is in the same device pool with the MRG for the MOH.

Jeff

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You shouldn't need an MTP for this call flow as long as emptycapability is enabled.  You actually won't see the ECS if MTP is required.  Do you have that enabled for some other specific reason (outbound fast start, perhaps)?  If not, try removing the requirement, resetting the gateway and testing,.

If you get detailed CM traces, it should shed more light on this.  Do you have an MOH server in the gateway's MRGL, and is the codec as specified with the region between the gateway and MOH server g711ulaw (though it could be g729 if you changed the service parameter to allow g729 MOH)?

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

asandborgh
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Jeff,

Just for kicks check the "requires MTP" button on the gateway page and make sure there is an MTP in the MRG.

If that does not help capture a debug h225 asn and debug h245 asn and post them

HTH,

Art

Requires MTP was already checked and MTP was already in the MRGL.  I have attached two debugs - the h225 and the h245 as requested

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

the interesting stuff is in the debug h245 asn1 starting at the end:

*Oct 29 19:54:16.296: H245 MSC INCOMING PDU ::=

value MultimediaSystemControlMessage ::= request : closeLogicalChannel :
    {
      forwardLogicalChannelNumber 1
      source user : NULL
    }

*Oct 29 19:54:16.296: h245_decode_one_pdu: H245ASNDecodePdu rc = 0, bytesLeftToDecode = 0
*Oct 29 19:54:16.296: h245_decode_one_pdu: Read Pkt body: more_pdus:0 rc:0 asn_rc:0
*Oct 29 19:54:16.296: H245 MSC OUTGOING PDU ::=

value MultimediaSystemControlMessage ::= response : closeLogicalChannelAck :
    {
      forwardLogicalChannelNumber 1
    }

*Oct 29 19:54:16.296: H245 MSC OUTGOING ENCODE BUFFER::= 23800000
*Oct 29 19:54:16.296: no debug all

Would you mind doing that debug again and pressing the hold button several times so that there are more log entries?

Thanks,

Art

Art -

New debug attached.  I pressed the hold button on the 7960 phone 12 times.  It did not appear to make any changes.  The timehack on the terminal monitor screen when I was pressing the hold button was 20:30:56.515.  Regardless of how many times I pressed the hold button, there was no new debug information captured until I ended the call.

Jeff

Jeff,

Good information.  It looks like we will need to look at CUCM traces, but before we do that I want you to try one more thing while you have both debug h245asn and 225asn running.  Set up a call like you have been doing but instead of trying to put it on hold try to transfer it and see if anything pops on the debugs.

Art

OK, will try tomorrow and let you know

Jeff

Art -

Debug file is attached but dont think it will show you anything new.  I had both 225 and 245 ASN running and placed the call.  Tried pressing both the hold softkey and the Transfer softkey at least half a dozen times each.  Neither softkey functioned as it should nor was any traffic generated by the debugs.

Jeff

You shouldn't need an MTP for this call flow as long as emptycapability is enabled.  You actually won't see the ECS if MTP is required.  Do you have that enabled for some other specific reason (outbound fast start, perhaps)?  If not, try removing the requirement, resetting the gateway and testing,.

If you get detailed CM traces, it should shed more light on this.  Do you have an MOH server in the gateway's MRGL, and is the codec as specified with the region between the gateway and MOH server g711ulaw (though it could be g729 if you changed the service parameter to allow g729 MOH)?

That was it.  The default for an H.323 GW is for MTP required to be checked.  Once I cleared it, it saw the ECS and now works.  Thanks.  Jeff