Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

No outside lines issue

Hello all

I am looking for some advice on the best way to throubleshoot an issue on some remote gateways that I help look after

The system was originally set-up by an external contractor

The system is set up with a central CUCM cluster with a Cisco 2851 gateway at each of the remote sites.

The gateways are set-up with a VIC2-2BRI-NT/TE, recently two of the remote sites got a second VIC2-2BRI-NT/TE module fitted. The initial config on the gateways had a dial- plans which put everything out of the first two BRI ports.

After reports of not being able to get an outside line I changed some of the dial-plans so that started to use the second set of ports on the newly fitted BRI module. I was a bit apprehensive of changing the incoming dial-plan (in-case I stopped all incoming calls)

The remote sites are still complaing that they are "having problems getting an outside line", whenever I look on the gateways I can only see a couple of active calls.

I am using isdn active/history type commands and I am arranging to get a trip to the sites to check out what the problem actually is by speaking to the users.

I have a couple of questions as follows:-

- I was under the impression that a VIC2-2BRI-NT/TE which has 2 ports means that there would be 4 lines available for use, with two VIC2-2BRI-NT/TE prots that would be 8 lines. Can someone advice if I have this wrong?

- Is there an easy way for me to find out failed calls and the reason for the failed call on the gateway?

- Can the BRI's be set-up in a POOL so that they are available for any incoming/outgoing calls. I have done this type of thing in a lab environment with data but that was a long time ago and I am a bit unsure if this is the way to go with a connection to BT

Sorry for the long post and all the questions, any help on this would be much appreciated

2 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

No outside lines issue

Can you post your current config?

Chris

Re: No outside lines issue

Hi Chris

Here is config, I have changed the ip addresses so please dont think there is a problem with these.

The config was set-up by the external contractor in this way, I have added the last couple of dial-plans on to overcome a couple of issues with calls failing to 111 and 0800XXXXXX numbers.

I have changed the voice-ports so that two (one on each module) is used for outgoing calls and two (the second port on each module) is used for incoming calls, my thinking was that if there was a problem with one of modules at least some calls would get through.

I initially thought the best way would be to have a pool of all the ports but I realise that this might mean they are all used for incoming or outgoing calls. I am not clear on what the "industry standard / best practice" for this type of configuration is. I would have thought the contractor probably set-up pretty close to the best way.

I appreciate any help on this

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content