Views
Helpful
Replies

no way to install cucm8.0(3a) on vmware esxi 4.1

lorenz84gDD
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I'm trying to install cucm 8 on esxi but i'm going crazy with it.

I read all the other post in this forum, tryied all the possible configurations but it's still not working.

By now I've one vm with these parameters:

2gb of RAM

2 virtual processors

2x 80gb hd

I also tryied to configure the controller as sas or parallel but without any success.

I tryied to use the image from cisco site but it doesn't even boot.

The problem is that the installation doesn't start at all and the process fails at the beginning as you can see from the screen shot.

Do you have any ideas? Anybody can help me?

Thanks

Lorenz

------- have a look to my blog lgrconsulting.com
9 Replies 9

Clifford McGlamry
Spotlight
Spotlight

You didn't post  your full VMWare config, but most likely it's because you hosed up the SCSI controller type.  VMWare sets this to BUSLogic by default, and CCM will not work on that setting.  You need to change it to LSILogic for it to install.

The images you can download off CCO are not bootable. You can't install off a non bootable image.  They are provided by Cisco for use in upgrade and patching only.

BTW, if you are installing this on UCS for use in a production environment, VMWare ESXi 4.1 is not supported.  You must use VMWare 4.0 update 1.  If you're in a lab environment, don't worry about it, but for production it's a must.

There are also OVF files posted out on CCO that will build out the required setup in VMWare for you if you're using ESXi.  But I'm betting it will work for you if you just modify the SCSI controller type.

I'm using VMWare Server v2 in my lab, but the VM Image can't see or tell the difference between ESXi and Server.  A screen shot of one of my 8.5 beta configs is attached.

Clifford thanks for your reply,

unfortunately esxi reccomends to set scsi controller to LSI so i did it correctly (i tryied lsi parallel and sas).

I mean I used the OVF file provided by cisco but when i try to boot the iso off the ovf the vm stops on a black screen

I attach a screenshot of the configuration of my esxi vm

thanks for your help

Ok....not clear from your post, but the OVF file is simply an XML file (you can open with a text editor) that sets up the VMWare image for you to

load into.

Did you create the VM space using the OVF file?

If you created it manually (didn't use the OVF file), what did you specify as the machine type  (i.e. Windows, Linux, etc, and which specific flavor did you use)?

If the settings are all correct, when you pointed the DVD drive at the ISO image, did you remember to CHECK THE BOX at the top of the page that tells it to mount the image when you power on the VM?  If you miss this, it will do exactly what you're describing every single time. 

And lastly....are you sure your image is bootable?  If you downloaded it off CCO, it won't be. 

I tried to use the ovf template from Cisco but when I start the VM it fails with this message: "Failed to power on VM Could not power on VM : Admission check failed for memory resource See the VMware ESX Resource Management Guide for information on resource management settings. Group host/user: Invalid memory allocation requested for VM vmm0:CUCM_2500_user_v1.0_vmv7. (min: 256000 pages, max: 593152, minLimit: -1, shares: -2) Group vm.12488: Cannot admit VM: Memory admission check failed. Requested reservation: 256000 pages". If I change the reserved memory the VM starts but hangs when loading the ISO. I tried loading the iso both from phyisical dvd drive and from iso image. I have 4gb of RAM, no other vm running I don't understand why the system can't reserve the required amount of memory.

I also manually created the VM, I used Red Hat ent 4 32bit system but without success (and all the other parameters in my first message)

I haven't downloaded the iso from cisco, it's an original cisco disk.

thanks for your patience

Lorenz

What kind of physical hardware are you running this on? Specifically, what's the processor make and type? There is a known issue with AMD processors.

NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY:

The information contained in this email transmission is confidential information which may contain information that is legally privileged and prohibited from disclosure under applicable law or by contractual agreement. The information is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named above.

If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this email transmission is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this email transmission in error, please notify us immediately by telephone to arrange for the return of the original transmission to us.

it's an intel quad core cpu q9450 @2.66ghz... i think this should be fully supported

That should work.

Have you been able to set up any other VMWare images successfully? Maybe something in the 7.x series?

NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY:

The information contained in this email transmission is confidential information which may contain information that is legally privileged and prohibited from disclosure under applicable law or by contractual agreement. The information is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named above.

If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this email transmission is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this email transmission in error, please notify us immediately by telephone to arrange for the return of the original transmission to us.

No I didn't try version 7.

thanks for your assistance, I really appreciate it

lorenz84gDD
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

fixed by downgrading to esx4.0.0 and cucm 8.0.2.

L

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: