cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

non-Cisco IP POE phone reboots randomly

bfpnetworking
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all.  I am using 24 port 2960s POE cisco switches.  I just implemented VOIP on the LAN only with a new ESI phone switch.  I have had reports of 4 users throughout the LAN where their ESI 60 IP phones lose connectivity randomly, which causes their pc to lose connection as well.

Cisco sh logs, just show power granted after the phone reboots. 

What should I be checking??

is this common?

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sorry, I misread your initial post.  Can you tell me the EXACT model of your switch? 

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Probably get the problem raised with ESI. It's as likely to be a problem with the phones as the switch.

Do you have other PoE devices on the switches, and do they experience problems?

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

No other POE devices are installed, just 60 ESI 60 button IP phones.

I got a strange feeling it's a cable issue.  You could run a TDR and testing all four pairs using the GigabitEthernet ports.

Cisco IOS Software, C2960S Software (C2960S-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 12.2(55)SE3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2011 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Thu 05-May-11 16:56 by prod_rel_team
Image text-base: 0x00003000, data-base: 0x01B00000

ROM: Bootstrap program is Alpha board boot loader
BOOTLDR: C2960S Boot Loader (C2960S-HBOOT-M) Version 12.2(53r)SE, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)

GVS12SW02GBPOE uptime is 1 week, 4 days, 18 minutes
System returned to ROM by power-on
System restarted at 05:58:59 cst Sun May 13 2012
System image file is "flash:/c2960s-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE3/c2960s-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE3.bin"

cisco WS-C2960S-24PD-L (PowerPC) processor (revision C0) with 131072K bytes of memory.

Does the TDR test cause loss of connectivity?

Did you read the doc on how to use this feature? If you did and the follow up posts, it says this to the same question:

Justin Maldonado 28-Nov-2011 15:10 (in response to leolaohoo)

Well that sucks.  I was planning on doing that very thing during the break, but totally forgot.  On the few ports I've tried it on, I have yet to see PoE take down a Cisco IP phone connected to it. Does it only have to shut down PoE sometimes, or do you think its simply doing it so fast that the phone is able to take the hit?

Hi Justin,

Yes.  If you have a PoE device and a client connected to this device, the TDR will cause both links to loose network connectivity. The reason is because TDR will test Pair "C" which controls PoE. 

Please rate all useful posts

Here is the port config.  We use the native VLAN 1 for data and VLAN 2 for voice.

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/3

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,2

switchport mode trunk

switchport nonegotiate

priority-queue out

mls qos trust cos

spanning-tree portfast trunk

spanning-tree bpduguard enable

Oh good you got a 2960S.  Try the TDR, it won't hurt and may as well give you an indication if you have a cable fault or not.   Here are the command combinations:

1.  Command:  test cable tdr interface Gig 1/0/3;

2.  Wait for approximately 5 to 7 seconds;

3.  Command:  sh cable tdr interface Gig 1/0/3; and

4.  Please post the output.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: