Views
Helpful
Replies

Nortel Option 61 integration to CallManager 4.2

sasmith
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All:

We are currently in the process of integrating a CCM cluster to a Nortel Option 61c switch. The goal is to connect the two via a PRI using QSIG or DMS100. I am currently trying to get all the software versions and features on the Nortel (like CDP).

However, I was curious if anyone out there knows any great resources to develop a solid working plan for this integration. I am looking for whitepapers or anything else that might help to make the process go as smoothly as possible.

Of course I am also looking for any insight from those out there that have already done a similar integration. Thanks!

Scott

13 Replies 13

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Scott,

We are running the setup using a 61c as well.The connection's between the Nortel(NT5D12Ax Dual PRI cards) and Cisco (6608 blade) are PRI's (using DMS100 protocol). We are running 25.40 on the Nortel.

For the Nortel side we use DSC (distant steering codes) that is where the CDP package comes into play, to move DN's across to the CCM when people migrate (works great!) That way our users don't need to dial any access codes or know where (CCM or Nortel) the called user exists. This method has been seamless and transparent. We have moved about 1250 users across to Cisco CCM so far, usually about 50 per night. It really works great! Buy yourself a good Barcode scanner to scan the new IP phones and use the Mac's to create a BAT file. Print out the Nortel DN/TN's ahead of time so you can match Toll Restrictions etc. The night of the cut, remove the Nortel phones, use the Distant Steering Codes (Load 87) to move the DN's across to CCM, run the BAT's for the new IP Phones, install the phones :) you are good to go!!

Here are some great docs;

Cisco Unified CallManager

Case Study: Nortel 61C PBX to Cisco IP Telephony Migration

From this good doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_white_paper09186a00801115e0.shtml

Nortel Meridian PBX and Cisco CallManager Integration

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_configuration_example09186a008011888c.shtml

Cisco Unified CallManager System Guide, Release 4.2(1)

Cisco DPA Integration

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a008055cd53.html

Hope this helps! Let me know if you need additional info.

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts.....

Hi Rob,

Very interesting topic.. I am having the same project. I am going to intergrate CM 4.2 with Nortel 81C via PRI interface. The customer wants to migrate Nortel users to CM one by one. There is no direct connectivity from CM to the PSTN, CM users will have to get the PSTN line through Nortel system using the same DID range. Incomming calls will land on Nortel system and routed to CM if the extension exists on CM.

Could you please send me an example for the PRI configuration and for moving one extension from Nortel to CM? Please send me the configuration required on both systems (Nortel and CM)??

I appreciate your assistnace.

Ali Isa

EDS-Gulf States

Hi Ali,

Here is the info you were looking for (attached);

Don't forget to have a close look at this doc (it is really good!);

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_white_paper09186a00801115e0.shtml#aa

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks Rob for the assistance... it is very good.

I will try it and get back to you.

Thanks,

Ali

Hello Rob,

Could you please explain to me what we have to configure on the other side (CCM)?? i.e. route pattern, transilation...etc

Thanks,

Ali

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your assistance.. I want all the dialing plan configuration on the CCM also. Suppose now I have deleted the extension from Nortel and created a DSC, what I have to do for the same extension in CCM?? What I have to do to route calls from CCM to Nortel also??

Thanks,

Ali Isa

Hi Ali,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. The important part here is that the CCM knows about all the numbers that are part of your existing internal dial plan. For example,you currently have 500 DID numbers that you have connected to the Nortel, and they are;

xxx-222-3000 to 3299 and

xxx-222-5000 to 5199

You will need to set up Route Patterns as follows;

30xx

31xx

32xx

50xx

51xx

On each of these Route Patterns you will want to assign them to a Gateway/Route List (which is the PRI's between the CCM and Nortel). This may be different terminology on CCM 4.2 (We are still running 3.3.5). This way when you dial DN 5155 for example, CCM will know that if 5155 is not an IP phone in its own database, to route the call to the Nortel via the PRI's that connect the 2 systems.If this DN 5155 is in the CCM database it will be connected within the IP topology.

As far as migrating a phone from Nortel to CCM goes, once you have deleted the DN and created a DSC this same DN can be used on CCM for the newly created IP Phone :)

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thank you very much Rob, I will try it.

Could you tell me also what to do for the incomming calls from Nortel extension to CCM??

Thanks,

Ali Isa

Hi Ali,

The routing of calls from the Nortel to CCM is where the DSC's (Distant Steering Codes) come into play.

Lets say User A (on Nortel) dials User B at Extn 5155 (on CCM); The Nortel searches its database and sees that DN 5155 is setup as a DSC (Distant Steering Code) pointing towards the CCM. The call is routed across the PRI's associated with the DSC (think RLI) and connects to CCM. The CCM searches its database and finds the IP Phone Extn 5155 and routes the call accordingly :)

Hope this helps!

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts.....

This is GREAT information! I really appreciate the help. I will go through all these documents and get back with I am sure some more questions. Thanks!

Scott

Hi,

Could you please advice me what to do in call manager regarding the dialing plan?? this is first time I am installing the call manager. I have done the configuration in Nortel PBX. I have configured the E1 in both Nortel and Cisco but I am not able to configure the routing plan in Call manager.

Thanks,

Ali Isa

Hi Rob,

I am doing similar integration using the nt5d12ah card which has Trunk DB9 connector and D-channel DB15 connector, I'm wondering how should the cabling be setup? Should I only use the db9 - rj48 crossover cable to connect to the GW?

Chris

Hi Chris,

I'm not onsite right now so I can't verify this for you. If my foggy memory (think Christmas cheer ;) serves me correctly the db9 - rj48 should be what you need. Our connections are from the Nortel backplane to Tie cable cross-connects to another room so not exactly your setup. Here is a recent thread that discusses this infrastructure that may help you out (it includes a good link from Kelly);

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Unified%20Communications%20and%20Video&topic=IP%20Telephony&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1ddc81ad/6#selected_message

Hope this helps! I will be back on Campus next week if you need me to get you any actual part numbers or additional info.

Take care!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: