Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

NTP server

Hi,

Due to reasons we have to decomision our existing NTP server to which all our global Cisco voice devices(CUCM8.x,CUC8.x,IPCC7.x,CUBE, Voice Gateways) are pointing. There is no backup NTP server configured on these devices.The current NTP server was maintained by a different team.Now we need to install and bring up a new NTP server to which all our voice devices can be re-pointed before decommisioning the old server. Can you let me know what is the best design/practise to bring up a new NTP server?

-I understand a Cisco voice gateway can be configured as a master NTP server but not sure if this is recommended.

-We have few Windows servers(Nice recorder..), is there any free NTP server application which i can install? is this recommended?

Thanks

KMS

4 REPLIES
Purple

NTP server

Hi KMS,

you can refer the discussion on similar topic

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/4078594#4078594

also, u need to check for licenses for Virtualised servers since u are changing NTP

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Licensing_Model_for_Virtualized_UC_Applications

regds,

aman

Community Member

NTP server

Thanks Aman. If I configure one of my Cisco voice Gateway/CUBE  as NTP server/master and point all my UC servers, do you have any idea how it will it take care of day light saving for different time zones automatically? Is it required to point this Voice Gateway to synch with another NTP server?

Thanks

KMS

Purple

NTP server

Hi KMS,

for the first query related to different time zones , I won't have idea but for the second u configure your router as master NTP  instead of pointing to another NTP server.

regds,

aman

Hall of Fame Super Gold

NTP server

I won't have idea but for the second u configure your router as master NTP  instead of pointing to another NTP server.

Please, oh please, do NOT ever use the command "ntp master". 

When you enable NTP master, the router will tell everyone to TRUST the router above any NTP source.  Even Cisco recommends to use the NTP master command as a "last resort". 

We have few Windows servers(Nice recorder..), is there any free NTP server application which i can install? is this recommended?

Never attempt to use a Windows box as a NTP/SNTP server.  The reason is because MS' interpretation of SNTP/NTP is not of the IEEE standard. 

You want something cheap?  Get a Raspberry Pi and configure it as an NTP server, however, your Raspberry Pi needs to go out to the internet to synchronize itself. 

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content