cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Offline upgrade of CUCM 8.6 to 10.5 vNIC question

Clifford McGlamry
Spotlight
Spotlight

Currently doing an off line upgrade of a customer CUCM 8.6 system.  After building the VMs using the 10.5 OVA template, we found that the software would NOT load as it would fail during install.  Root cause was tracked down to an issue with the VM NIC.  10.5 builds this nic as a VMXNET3.  It was necessary to change this to E1000 to get the software to load.

Is it a problem leaving this as an E1000 vNIC going into production?  Or do we really need to back it up and rebuild it, or swap out the vNIC to have it be officially supported? 

TIA

Cliff

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If the specs of the VM once you're on 10.5 are not EXACTLY as the OVA should be after deployment, we won't support your install.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Unfortunately the upgrade guide does not spell it, but the read me does:

http://www.cisco.com/web/software/282074348/113178/CUC_10.5_vmv8_v1.5.ova.README.txt

As you pointed out 10.5 uses VMXNET3, but you need E1000 to build previous version, after upgrading to 10.5 simply change it back to VMXNET3 as called out in the readme.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If the specs of the VM once you're on 10.5 are not EXACTLY as the OVA should be after deployment, we won't support your install.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Unfortunately the upgrade guide does not spell it, but the read me does:

http://www.cisco.com/web/software/282074348/113178/CUC_10.5_vmv8_v1.5.ova.README.txt

As you pointed out 10.5 uses VMXNET3, but you need E1000 to build previous version, after upgrading to 10.5 simply change it back to VMXNET3 as called out in the readme.

Gack!!!!  Once again burned by obscure information being located in an unexpected place.

The procedure to modify the vNIC is in there, but it didn't really address the install on the v10 OVA with older software.  I found I could change it to an E1000 type, install the v8 software, then use the procedure in the readme to modify it to the VMXNET 3 adapter type.  That, and the need for the COP to recognize the media as valid really should have been made a lot more obvious.

Seems like it would be a lot simpler to just include the COP files you might need on the ISO image, but I guess that would create something else to manage they really don't want to.

Thanks Chris!.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: