Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

One 7970 and 7971G no sound handset speaker

Relatively new to these IP phones; I've purchased couple of 7970s and 7971Gs for use with my 3CX PBX, and I managed to peform a number of upgrades and to get them to the 8.5.3 firmware using TFTP with the correct SEP files. Learned a lot the past couple of months....

However, with two of the phones (one 7970 and one 7971G) the speaker in de handset is not working while the microphone does work (the other end can hear me fine, but I do not hear them speaking). Everything else on the phones seems to work: they register fine with my PBX, handsfree works fine where I can have two-way conversations. Tried different handsets from other working phones, including RJ11 cable swaps but to no avail.

Is this a hardware issue, or might this be related to a configuration setting or firmware upgrade that went foul?

Your input much appreciated.

Roel

2 REPLIES
VIP Super Bronze

Re: One 7970 and 7971G no sound handset speaker

One other thing you can check is to press the help (?) key twice while on a call. It will show you the call statistics dialog which should show you packets being received. If you are receiving the RTP packets correctly then it likely is not a network problem and is a hardware issue with the phone. They come with a one-year warranty so you can RMA it.

For education: Each direction of audio in a call is a separate UDP-based RTP stream. It is conceivable that a network configuration such as a firewall is blocking the RTP packets in only one direction thus causing the silence.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: One 7970 and 7971G no sound handset speaker

The phone is receing media flow, because the speakerphone works.

Likely these have been bought used, so no warrany from Cisco.

Views
Helpful
Replies