Views
Helpful
Replies

Outbound POTS Dial-Peer Digit Strip

Carl Ratcliffe
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Support Community

I have a query regarding outbound POTS dial-peers in relation to the digit strip. I have always known that explictly matched digits on a pots dial-peer are stripped unless you configure otherwise.

''By default, when the terminating router matches a dial string to an outbound POTS dial peer, the router strips off the left-justified digits that explicitly match the destination pattern. The remaining digits, or

wildcard digits, are forwarded to the telephony interface, which connects devices such as a PBX or the PSTN. ''

Now i have a scenario were the first digit ( the PSTN access code ) of 9 ( explictly matched therfore stripped ) needs to be changed to [89] as other globally offices use 8 for the PSTN access code. We implement a dial plan using cross cluster extension mobility and a globalisation, roaming users can therefore use 8 or 9 for a PSTN access code on CUCM. This works fine when digit manipulation is completed on CUCM as due to globalisation taking place using transformation patterns the CUCM gateway localises the number before it hits the gateway and prefixes a 9 to match the dial peer. The 9 is then stripped on the gateway due to being explictly defined.

However in SRST we need the ability to dial pstn access code of 8 or 9 directly on the gateway. Now if we use [89] in the dial peer it is now a wildcard and therefore wont be stripped so If a wildcard is used as the first digit does this mean any explictly matched digits after this are not stripped becasue they are no longer classed as left-justified digits ?

dial-peer voice 101 pots
description ## International ##
destination-pattern [89]011T
port 0/0/0:23
prefix 011

Thanks, Carl Ratcliffe

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Best way is to use below translation rule.. It is simple and easy to understand..

voice translation-rule 89011

rule 1 /^8011/ /011/

rule 2 /^9011/ /011/

voice translation-profile INTERNATIONAL

translate called 89011

dial-peer voice 101 pots

translation-profile out INTERNATIONAL

Br,
Nadeem 

Please rate all useful post.

Br, Nadeem Please rate all useful post.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Nadeem Ahmed
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You are right.. if we use [89] in the dial peer it is now a wildcard and therefore wont be stripped and explictly matched digits after this are not stripped becasue they are no longer classed as left-justified digits

For below configuration if you dial - 801123456789 the outgoing number will be 011801123456789...

dial-peer voice 101 pots

prefix 011

Br,
Nadeem 

Thanks Nadeem

So if im expecting a varibale length pattern as in the case with the digit T i cant use forward digits config as i can with a fixed pattern as i dont know the length therefore my choices are to either create an additional dial-peer for this or use a translation pattern ?  I wanted to avoid adding anything additional as it confuses support staff so ideally i wanted to just keep the config to the dial peers.

Thanks, Carl Ratcliffe

Manish Prasad
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Carl,

I would recommend leave your dial-peer configuration as it and apply translation profile under SRST. What it does is to normalize number(called and calling numbers just like CUCM does) before sending it to outgoing dial-peer on gateway.

Under SRST ( Translation only happens between phone and SRST router)

Suppose user dials 801122223333 and translation rule under SRST converts that number to 901122223333 , which then forwarded to outgoing dial-peer 101 to send it to PSTN.

That's my observation for this problem , let see how experts put thier view on your post.

Rate all the helpful post.

Thanks

Manish

Best way is to use below translation rule.. It is simple and easy to understand..

voice translation-rule 89011

rule 1 /^8011/ /011/

rule 2 /^9011/ /011/

voice translation-profile INTERNATIONAL

translate called 89011

dial-peer voice 101 pots

translation-profile out INTERNATIONAL

Br,
Nadeem 

Thanks All

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: