Just wondering if anyone else has the same issues. I have these issues on a daily basis. So I'm running Callmanager 8.6, Presence server is 8.6. Mostly Windows 7 machines, some XP. NO matter what version of Jabber I try is just seems to be very buggy. The issues I'm having is this. I add a contact into Outlook. Then go to Jabber to add contact , sometimes it will let me sometimes it will not. When I finally do get the contact added.It will work for a few times. Then say a day later I log into Jabber search for the contact that I added nothing comes up. Its like I never added it. Then the next day it will work fine. I have tried many different things to see if I could resolve the issue. Not sure what to do now. Just wondering if anyone else has these issues all the time. If so how do you fix them.
SIP traces provide key information in troubleshooting SIP Trunks, SIP
endpoints and other SIP related issues. Even though these traces are in
clear text, these texts can be gibberish unless you understand fully
what they mean. This document attempts to br...
Please find the attached HTML document, download and open it on your PC.
This provides an easy to use form where you simply answer a few
questions and it will render the proper jabber-config.xml file for you
to copy/paste. There is built in logic to verif...
CUCM Database Replication is an area in which Cisco customers and
partners have asked for more in-depth training in being able to properly
assess a replication problem and potentially resolve an issue without
involving TAC. This document discusses the bas...