Views
Helpful
Replies

PC Port on the Phone Issue

Allan Choo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am see a big difference in throughput when connecting a PC through the PC port on a Cisco 7942 phone, compared to when the PC is directly connected to a switch. My setup is a 2960G POE switch, CM 8.6 and 7962 phones.

For example if my PC is connected directly into the switch, I can transfer a file in Windows at about 50~60 MB/s

(Server)-----------(2960G)------------(PC)

But if I connect to the pass through port on the phone, my transfer speeds slows down to about 5~10 MB/s

(Server)--------(2960G)-----------(7942VoIP)------------(PC)

Now even though the phone is only at 10/100 speed, my throughput should be a lot better.  Could this be a configuration issue with QOS? if so, QOS is configured on the switch so wouldn't that affect the PC if the PC is connected directly to the switch?

I have 2 other locations with CMs that are not seeing this issue.

Regards,

Allan

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Allan,

10/100 ethernet speed is in Megabits per second (Mbps), and it sounds like your transfer speeds are in MegaBytes per second (MB/s). Little b=bits, Big B=Bytes, 1 B = 8 b. 100 Megabits is equal to 12.5 Megabytes. A good portion of that will be lost to overhead. 5 -10 Megabytes per second is about what I would expect from a 10/100 ethernet connection, and the 50-60 MB/s you mention is indicative of a 10/100/1000 ethernet connection. I'm not seeing anything unusual here.

-Jameson

-Jameson

View solution in original post

Just want to make sure I understand.  You said its a 2960G switch right?  That would be a gig switch.  Then you are plugging a 7942 phone in, and then plugging a pc in to the phone.  Is that all correct?  Cause the phone will only give you 100mg out, thus cutting you down to a 1/10th the speed of being plugged directly in to the switch.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Allan,

10/100 ethernet speed is in Megabits per second (Mbps), and it sounds like your transfer speeds are in MegaBytes per second (MB/s). Little b=bits, Big B=Bytes, 1 B = 8 b. 100 Megabits is equal to 12.5 Megabytes. A good portion of that will be lost to overhead. 5 -10 Megabytes per second is about what I would expect from a 10/100 ethernet connection, and the 50-60 MB/s you mention is indicative of a 10/100/1000 ethernet connection. I'm not seeing anything unusual here.

-Jameson

-Jameson

Hi Jameson,

Yes, I am only looking at the transfer speed shown in Windows file transfer which shows in XX MB/s.

Let me do some testing with 10/100 switches which is what I have over here in this office. So if my switch is 10/100 and the PC port on the phone is 10/100, I wouldn't see too much of a difference whether I am connected to the phone or the switch directly. but there will be a difference if the switch ins 10/100/1000.

Regards,

Allan

Just want to make sure I understand.  You said its a 2960G switch right?  That would be a gig switch.  Then you are plugging a 7942 phone in, and then plugging a pc in to the phone.  Is that all correct?  Cause the phone will only give you 100mg out, thus cutting you down to a 1/10th the speed of being plugged directly in to the switch.

tahequivoice
Level 2
Level 2

I have a customer with this problem, however, we do know its 100 Mbps, but throughput is only 160Kbps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: