Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Phone Change

I need to add a new External Mask to 200 phones. When I did tried this using BAT I got the message " can't update these numbers as there are shared lines" they are shared lines because each phone has extension mobility service with a log out profile of its current settings. When I remove the service from the phones using BAT it will not remove the auto device profile unless you go to the phone and select "Not seleted" for the log out profile. Is there anyway round this before I have to do this on 200 phones. Thanks cisco for another basic feature that you have not bothered to include

6 REPLIES

Re: Phone Change

Dave,

I've had this issue before. Eventually I started using AXL for mass bulk of BAT unsupported elements. Of course AXL requires more knowledge to operate than BAT. I will link the DEV documents on that below (and note I never did EMASK/shared lines with AXL but I'm pretty sure it's not going to hit that issue, but I can check later on).

But originally what I did was I would update the lines to a different partition, then update the External Phone Mask (or any other value not allowed by BAT), then update the lines back to correct partition. Now in order to do the first update you need to separate your lines via search query criteria. In my scenario I had secretary and boss phones. I made sure all my phones had description when I bulked then, Boss or sec. So I ran a Phone Update Lines, Description query with "Boss" and Device Pool query of the site, and changed their lines to a staging partition. Then ran another update lines and query for partition staging, then changed their EMASKs for the site. Then lastly ran the another update lines and query partition staging and changed their line back to the correct partition.

This is probably not the best way to do this and learning AXL is really good if you work with mass phone administration a lot. But even though this is a hokey solution it did work for me a couple years back when I needed to get out of a pinch without touching a thousand or so phones because I forgot an E164. Of course it did require the description field, which I luckily had bulked in initially, so I could have something to make a selection on.

Here is the link to the CCM programing guides which contain AXL documentation.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_programming_reference_guides_list.html

Please rate any helpful posts

Thanks

Fred

Thanks fred.

Can i use AXL to update the line text label as well?

I can't see the option in BAT

Thanks

Dave,

To use AXL you need to understand XML/XML Schema and you need to create an application interface to access the CCM AXL SOAP server. You could do this on your own but that would take some development effort. Here is a link to a developer that created a custom interface and can also provide scripts to you for a small fee. I've worked with him in the past.

If I get time today I will test your scenario with AXL to see if it will work for you. I usually use AXL for new installs that require complex phone bulk so I can't remember it's impact on an existing line.

Here are the elements that would be updated.

UpdatePhoneReq/lines/line/e164Mask

So since you are using a UpdatePhoneReq you would supply the SEP*MAC* of the phone and line number. You need some type of selection criteria.

Developers link

http://www.software.justdesign.co.nz/

And to answer you question on what you can do, yes you can do pretty much anything in AXL that you can do in the CCMAdmin pages. If you want to know what you can adjust then download the CCM XML schema. Here is the link(CCO required).

http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/dev_support/access_level/product_support

Choose Login Now, then select SOLUTION TECHNOLOGY: UNIFIED COMMUNICATIONS AND LOCATION TECHNOLOGY, CallManager AXL SOAP

Then select the developer guide AXL-SOAP for your CCM version (it's a zip that contains the Schema files as well).

Please rate any helpful posts

Thanks

Fred

Dave,

Reading over the XML Schema info for the line elements it seems that any changes might overwrite the existing lines. Again, I will try to lab this today if I have time.

Thanks

Fred

Dave,

I went ahead and tested this and I couldn't get it to work. I got no errors but it didn't update the label or E164. I also found a link to another post from Sasha (the person that created the software I referenced before) and he verified my concern in that this overwrites line settings. I think my update wasn't working because I wasn't putting all line attributes in.

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Unified%20Communications%20and%20Video&topic=IP%20Phone%20Services%20for%20Developers&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1ddc4868/2#selected_message

Fred

A very easy way to log off all of your EM phones to make BAT changes is to do it via a simple linux script.

Export a list of all of your mac address's to a text file.

Create a script to pipe each MAC into a wget statement on your linux box:

wget "http://10.1.1.1/emapp/EMAppServlet?device=&doLogout=true"

My script just takes the file in a "while" loop and waits 2 seconds between each logoff. With in 45 minutes I logged off 500 users. I then ran my updates to the phones via BAT.

Email me if you want the script.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content