Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Phone does not work, and how to update firmware on cisco ip phone?

Hello Everybody,

This is my first discussion on this forum. Hope somebody could answer my questions

I have a cisco 7940 ip phone which i use to make sip calls. During the last week i have noticed that the device is not working properly. Basically, I cant make and recieve calls. No errors are shown, simply does not work. Even if i switch it on and of nothing changes. It seems that everythiing works fine but instead is not working. The strange thing is that sometimes works and i really dont understand what's going on with this device.

The questions are:

1. How can i diagnose better this issue?

2. Can i update the firmware withoue paying?

Note that, using the same account within the same newtork on a pc a i can recieve and make calls so i exclude a problem at network level or at least i think so.

Any idea what to do with this device before throwing it on a trash?

thank you

11 REPLIES

Phone does not work, and how to update firmware on cisco ip phon

Evald,

1. If your phone shows registered & displays a DN on it but If you are unable to make/receive calls on that phone, you got to first check it's config in CUCM, as to it has proper CSS/Partition config in place, just compare it with other phones.

2. Mostly yes if your CCO ID has that previlage. They can be downloaded from here

HTH

GP.

Pls rate helpful posts by clicking on the stars below the post !!

Community Member

Hi Gajanan,

i'm not using CUCM and i have only one cisco phone. I have done the SIP configuration by typing **# which unlock the menu.

How do i know if  CCO ID has that previlage?

Thank you.

Evald,

I never had a CCO ID with lower previlages but I guess, if someone with lower previlage would either get " Access Denied " error while accessing the page or perhaps similar message while downloading the files on CCO. Sorry can't say for sure.

But if you are able to see the page & download the files, rest assured that you've got the required previlage.

About the point 1, if CUCM is not involved, I presume you are using a non-Cisco SIP PBX. on similar lines as explained earlier, you will have to look into that DN's configuration ( perhaps someone messed it up mistakenly )

GP.

Community Member

I tried downloading the firmware from the link provided by Gajanan and i can do so without even login to the page. :-)

Re: Phone does not work, and how to update firmware on cisco ip

Piyush,

Download without login is just not possible. As You must be already logged in to NetPro, it took your login from there. Check on the right top corner it shows you as logged in.

GP.

Community Member

I have tried to download it when i'm  logged in and when i'm not. It is forbidden!

Are you sure you can download it? Maybe you can see it but not download it...

Community Member

Yes i see that page, but i cant dowload it http://i.imgur.com/I1ti4.png

Well, there is only one cisco phone which i'm using it at home.

I dont have a PBX, and the phone is connected with 2 external SIP providers through internet. What is a DN configuration?

thank's again

Evald,

DN stands for Directory Number, a term used in CUCM to refer to a phone number ( internal ). As your phone is managed by SIP Provider, you will have to ask them to look into it. I am not sure if there is any billing related concern there, so that services are suspended etc.

As your phone is managed by the Service Provider, you cant even update it's firmware etc, as you dont have any access to the PBX/ CUCM. SP has to do it for you if needed.

GP.

Community Member

Yes i have the DN number. As i wrote earlier, sometimes the phone works and sometimes not without changing any configuration!!!

I think the phone has some hardware problems because it has worked perfectly for 2-3 years...:(

Evald,

I'd suggest you consult the service provider, so that they look into it's config first & if it turns out to be a hardware issue, then they might replace it ( if that's under the deal )

GP.

Community Member

The cisco phone is mine and the service provider does not even know what kind of hardware i'm using....

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content