cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Phone / Gateway Setup - Remote Location

adamtodd16
Level 3
Level 3

We have an office in an extremely remote location that connects to the Internet using a Satelittle connection. The average response time from this office to our core office is approx 800-1200ms on average.

Currently, we have an 1811 in place, which has a voice and data vlan. The voice vlan has a vpn tunnel setup directly to our core, where the phones register with call manager. There are no phone lines / voice gateway at the remote office.

This is not the ideal setup as we have serious voice quality issues, etc. Just wanted to start a discussion on some options for the ideal setup at this location (SIP TRUNK, VOCIE GATEWAY, CM EXPRESS, other?)

Look forward to hearing some ideas / opinions.

2 Replies 2

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

You are away outside the limits for VOIP

Minimize delay between Cisco UCM and remote locations to reduce voice cutthrough
delays (also known as clipping ).

The ITU-T G.114 recommendation specifies a 150 ms maximum one way.

I can see how you can make this sound good at 800-1200 msecs

Looks like you would need to use CME at the remote site as a stanalone and use the PSTN to call outside

Regards

Alex

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

I'd agree - you can use CME for the remote site, thereby keeping the SCCP traffic local.

For calls to HQ etc you can route via the PSTN, or set up a SIP trunk abck to the CUCM and try your luck. I've seen SIP trunks work acceptably with <2 sec call setup time on WANs running 600-700ms latency one way. Once calls were running there weren't any major issues though I expected to get problems due to the delay (i.e. people talking over each other etc).

H.323 by comparison would take around 7-8 seconds on the same WAN. SCCP is pretty chatty so I would expect significant delays in most things - getting dial tone, dialling numbers, etc...

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!