Views
Helpful
Replies

Phone migration between 8.6 clusters

johnhsnow
Level 1
Level 1

Hello:

hoping someone has experience with this migration and can answer this.

situation:

existing phones on 8.6 cluster A ,company A - moving to another cluster  that is also 8.6 cluster B, company B

in order to move these phones successfully onto the other cluster i have two questions after reading the pre8.0 rollback procedure:

* in order to clear the ITL, you set the rollback to pre 8.x service parameter on cluster A

1. do i need to actually revert to pre 8.0 software on Cluster A from an inactive partition? Yes? No?

2. can you reset only the phones that you want to migrate on Cluster A  after setting parameter, or do you have to reset ALL the phones in the cluster A?

- i am hoping after you set the service parameter, that you can just run job to reset those phones that you want to migrate. This is a company aquistion so I only need to migrate n-phones.

regards,
John

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Brian Meade
Level 7
Level 7

John,

Take a look at https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/60716/migrating-ip-phones-between-clusters-cucm-8-and-itl-files for some ideas.  The Bulk Certificate Option is the most preferred if you can.

If you want to use the rollback parameter, you just need to do it on Cluster A and then reset whichever phones need the blank ITL for migrating to cluster B.  Just make sure to not hit Apply Config on the enterprise parameters page as that will reset all devices on the cluster.

Cluster A can be running any 8.0+ version.  The rollback parameter was added so you could easily move phones back to a 7.x or earlier CUCM release by giving the phones a blank trust list so they will trust the old cluster.  Because of how it works, you can use it to migrate between 2 8.0+ clusters as well.

Just be aware of the caveats of phones with the blank trust list not being able to use secure services such as corporate directory until you migrate them to Cluster B.  This is why Bulk Certificate Export/Import is usually a better option.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Brian Meade
Level 7
Level 7

John,

Take a look at https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/60716/migrating-ip-phones-between-clusters-cucm-8-and-itl-files for some ideas.  The Bulk Certificate Option is the most preferred if you can.

If you want to use the rollback parameter, you just need to do it on Cluster A and then reset whichever phones need the blank ITL for migrating to cluster B.  Just make sure to not hit Apply Config on the enterprise parameters page as that will reset all devices on the cluster.

Cluster A can be running any 8.0+ version.  The rollback parameter was added so you could easily move phones back to a 7.x or earlier CUCM release by giving the phones a blank trust list so they will trust the old cluster.  Because of how it works, you can use it to migrate between 2 8.0+ clusters as well.

Just be aware of the caveats of phones with the blank trust list not being able to use secure services such as corporate directory until you migrate them to Cluster B.  This is why Bulk Certificate Export/Import is usually a better option.

Dear

how to delete a content from the announcement

looks like your post landed where you wanted it to. You were trying to post with a cached version of the old site - same thing happened to me.

logout and login again from another browser or clear your cache to solve your problem.

Hi Brian:

Thanks for the information. I thought i would test part of this out in the cluster I am in which is cluster B.

I changed the enterprise parameter - not applying config or reset

I reset TVS and TFTP on all nodes

I reset my phone

I still see the ITL file on my phone though. I went back to Enterprise Parameters and the setting was still False.

So i guess i forgot to save the setting.

I repeated the same process in order this time

changed enterprise parameter

save

reset TVS on all nodes

reset TFTP on all nodes

reset phone

ITL file = its there but i cannot delete it or do anything from the phone. It shows configuration (signed). When i select the ITL file it has numbers there, and all the TVS entries are blank. I moved the phone onto another cluster and it boot up. I took the phone back to the original cluster and it would not boot up.

So I deleted the ITL file from the phone at that point so it could boot up onto its original cluster. I think in smaller deployments for remote sites, I will be using the manual process. In my scenario, I am migrating phones on a site by site basis in customer environment onto another cluster ( via aquisition).

Thanks Brian.

regards,

John

John,

When using the rollback option, the phones will still get an ITL but it just won't have any entries in it.  Once you moved the phone to the other cluster, it got a valid ITL so that's why it wouldn't trust the original cluster.  You would have to enable the rollback option on the new cluster as well if you want to use that method.

If you're going to be moving phones back and forth, you should definitely be using the bulk certificate export/import method instead.

Brian

Thanks Brian:

I would explore BULK however they are separate companies not connected during this aquisition.

manual deletion is my only option if i am doing this myself/with team otherwise the companys IT getting aquired has to do the other solutions which at this point not sure that is going to work.

The test I performed was physically bringing the phone over to my companys cluster.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: