Views
Helpful
Replies

Phone not picking up Voice VLAN

r.grant3779
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Strange issue that's just started happening with a few 6921 phones.

On our cisco switch when port is configured with data and voice vlan, the phone picks up an IP address from the data vlan and in turn doesn't register. It's as if it doesn't see the voice vlan. As soon I remove the data vlan and have voice vlan only on the port, phone picks up IP from the voice network and registers against the CME. This all worked before on the same ports, nothing changed. It just suddenly stopped working.

Anyone seen this before?

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9

Can you post the "sh run int X/Y" for the port?

GTG

Please rate all helpful posts.

Hi,

Ok first output is when the phone doesn't work. VLAN 7 is the data vlan and 81 is Voice on this LAN.

interface FastEthernet2/0/39
 description IP and Data Port
 switchport access vlan 7
 switchport mode access
 switchport voice vlan 81
 srr-queue bandwidth share 10 10 60 20
 srr-queue bandwidth shape 10 0 0 0
 priority-queue out
 mls qos trust device cisco-phone
 mls qos trust cos
 auto qos voip cisco-phone
 macro description cisco-phone
 spanning-tree portfast
 spanning-tree bpduguard enable
 service-policy input AutoQoS-Police-CiscoPhone

Output below is when the phone does work.

interface FastEthernet2/0/39
 description IP and Data Port
 switchport mode access
 switchport voice vlan 81
 srr-queue bandwidth share 10 10 60 20
 srr-queue bandwidth shape 10 0 0 0
 priority-queue out
 mls qos trust device cisco-phone
 mls qos trust cos
 auto qos voip cisco-phone
 macro description cisco-phone
 spanning-tree portfast
 spanning-tree bpduguard enable
 service-policy input AutoQoS-Police-CiscoPhone
end

And this did work previously. Only 6921 phones affected.

What firmware version are you running on the 6921s?  What other model phones/firmwares are working successful on this switch?

What does "show cdp" output show?

I"m having the same issue with 7962 phones which just started an hour ago has anyone made a breakthrough?

The 7962 are bullet proof phones. If they cant pick up their voice vlan, i suggest you look at the configuration of your switches.

Please rate all useful posts

jamesalston
Level 1
Level 1

Just to follow up for those who may run across this issue. I ended up opening a TAC case and as soon as the engineer got into the switch to look around, everything started working again AUTOMAGICALLY. So I have no clear explantion as to why this happened or what caused it. It lasted about two hours where either the phone or the PC would work but not both of them, and all I can think of is that someone plugged some unauthorized device into the network. However I have no proof of that in any logs or what have you.  There was nothing wrong with the switch's configuration and it was happening with both 7962 and 7942 phones On a CUCM 8.x enviroment.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: