cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Phone template when used doesn't assign lines (7931 Phone)?

NPT_2
Level 2
Level 2

We are running version 7.1.5.31900-3 of callmanager.  I have a new office that I have a bunch of 7931 IP Phones that I want to make their initial configuration easier and faster.

I have created a phone template and added a couple blank lines that I am planning on adding extensions to when I add a new phone based on this template. 

The problem is when I add a new phone using this template the main phone configuration is added to the phone ok, but none of the 2 lines I have added to the template are added to the added to the new phone configuration. 

What am I missing here? 

Jim

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

I don't know any way to add lines (DN) in a template, so the new phone will use that lines.

Answering your question, the template lines exists to allow you to create a line template, defining what will be your forwards, CSS, Voice Mail Profile and etc. If you pay attention to the "DN" from the phone template, it shows "Line Template Name" instead of "Directory Number", I mean, that's not a Directory Number.

As a suggestion, I guess you can create some DNs without assigning to any phone, and when creating the phone (based in a template), put the number of the previously created DN instead of creating a new one.

You'll spend some time creating the DNs but then you'll save time on creating the phones

View solution in original post

Why not just use Super copy feature and then change the parameters you need to, if this is just an ad-hoc phone add?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Victor Circelli
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jim,

If I understood your question, this is working as expected.

DN's used on Phone Templates are not added to the Device when creating it. They're phantom DN's only to allow the creation of the template

Regrds

So is there any way I can add phone numbers to a phone template that are actuallly used in adding a new phone?  I don't understand why you can add the lines to the template but they don't actually do anything.  I really just need them as a placeholder to save some time in setting up all the line parameters.  Is there any way to do this or do I just need to manually create 2 lines on every one of my phones and configure all of the line parameters manually for every DN? 

Jim

I don't know any way to add lines (DN) in a template, so the new phone will use that lines.

Answering your question, the template lines exists to allow you to create a line template, defining what will be your forwards, CSS, Voice Mail Profile and etc. If you pay attention to the "DN" from the phone template, it shows "Line Template Name" instead of "Directory Number", I mean, that's not a Directory Number.

As a suggestion, I guess you can create some DNs without assigning to any phone, and when creating the phone (based in a template), put the number of the previously created DN instead of creating a new one.

You'll spend some time creating the DNs but then you'll save time on creating the phones

That makes sense and is exactly what i am looking to accomplish. Set default forward css etc. the problem is that when i add a phone using the template the dn s are blank and have taken none of the parameters from the line template.

Any other thoughts?

Jim

Hey Jim,

I made some tests with IP Communicator template configured like we discussed ("phantom" DN with CSS, MoH etc) and it really doesn't work when adding a new phone based on a template. I guess it only works for Bulk (this I tested and works. It really gets the template DN config).

Let's see if someone else have any suggestions

Why not just use Super copy feature and then change the parameters you need to, if this is just an ad-hoc phone add?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Thanks for the super copy feature.  That should accomplish exactly what I need to do.

Jim

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: