cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Phones not downloading the new firmware.

Hi,

In our support centre, all the phones are in the same device pool, same region, same mgrl, same css, bascially all the phone have the same settings however, some of the phone have the latest fireware while some of the other phones have the previous level of firmware. Even a reset of the phone or reseating the network cable does not force the phone to download the new firmware.

One thing I did notice was that the phones that have the previous level of firmware have a different ip address range compared to phones with the latest firmware version.

What can I check to get these phone to download the new firmware.

Thanks a million

Anthony.

4 Replies 4

egarcia9330
Level 1
Level 1

please attach a copy of your running-config

Hi,

The switch is a switch stack with that consisted of 5 switches in total.

switch 1 provision ws-c3750e-48pd

switch 2 provision ws-c3750e-48pd

switch 3 provision ws-c3750e-24pd

switch 4 provision ws-c3750e-48pd

switch 5 provision ws-c3750e-48pd

The phone in question is in switchport int gi5/0/3. There was no configuration for this interface and so i copied in the following config:

description ******** end-users ********

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk native vlan 23

switchport mode trunk

switchport voice vlan 100

srr-queue bandwidth share 10 10 60 20

srr-queue bandwidth shape 10 0 0 0

queue-set 2

mls qos trust device cisco-phone

mls qos trust cos

spanning-tree portfast trunk

spanning-tree bpduguard enable

!

Its now getting an ip address 10.23.x.x but it is not getting the correct firmware.

All ip address have been changed in the config that i have uploaded.

Thanks

Anthony.

Does anyone have any ideas on this? nothing I've tried has worked.

Any help much appreciated.

Anthony.

Hi Anthony,

I am not an expert on this by any means, but it seems as though the second DHCP scope may be missing the reference to the TFTP Server;

Here is a nice little clip on this for Cisco IP Phones;

Understanding How Devices Identify the TFTP Server

The phones have an order of preference that they use for selecting the address of the TFTP (Trivial File Transfer Protocol) server. If the devices receive conflicting or confusing information from the DHCP server, the device uses the following sequence to determine what information is valid:

1. You can locally configure the phone with a TFTP server. This address overrides any TFTP address sent by the DHCP server. The phone always tries to resolve the DNS name CiscoCM1.

2. If this name is resolved, then it overrides all information sent by the DHCP server.

It is not necessary to name the TFTP server CiscoCM1, but you must enter a DNS CName record to associate CiscoCM1 with the address or name of the TFTP server.

3. The phone uses the value of Next-Server in the boot processes. This DHCP configuration parameter has traditionally been used as the address of the TFTP server. When configuring BOOTP servers, this field is typically referred to as the address of the TFTP server.

This information is returned in the siaddr field of the DHCP header. You should always use this option, if available, because some DHCP servers will place their own IP address in this field when it is not configured.

4. The phone uses the site-specific option 150.

5. The phone also accepts the Optional Server Name parameter. This DHCP configuration parameter is the DNS name of a TFTP server. Currently only a DNS name can be configured in this parameter; a dotted decimal IP address should not be used.

6. The phone also accepts the 66 option, which is the name of the boot server.

7. Option 66 is normally used to replace the sname field when option overloading occurs. It can be used on Windows NT DHCP servers and functions like the 150 option. This name field can contain a DNS name or a dotted decimal IP address.

8. The 66 option should not be used with the 150 option. If they are sent together, then the phone prefers the IP address over the name given by the 66 option. However, if both a dotted decimal IP address and a 150 option are sent, then order of preference is dependent on the order that they appear in the option list. The phone chooses the last item in the option list. To reiterate, option 66 and option 150 are mutually exclusive.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a0080532bf8.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: