Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Physical Connection for Cisco 1861 router

Hello All Friends's,

I am unable to understand how to plug Internet cable into 1861,  it's strange I never see any VOIP router, But I am always trying to configure, I am doing try to configure from remote location & my partner said the 1861 has a WAN port at the back it doesn't have a built in ADSL modem as a lot of enterprises use connections other than ADSL,so we need the modem to provide the internet connection to the 1861, in Perth there is a router there which was configured for a straight through connection when the UC520 was installed so the router's wifi, dhcp etc is all inactive
it just acts as a modem I figured I would just get a modem and plug it into the 1861,

I can't suggest him for making connection,  can anyone point me for making connection, it will be a great if you can provide me any snap

it's so difficult i think but i hope experts will solve my issue
Please point me in right direction

Regards

VIkrant

7 REPLIES

Re: Physical Connection for Cisco 1861 router

If I understand your question you are looking for a way to connect your 1861 to the Internet.  If you have an ADSL modem, you connect it to your Fast Ethernet port.  There are also ADSL HWIC modules available for the 1861.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5855/product_data_sheet0900aecd80394b7e_ps5853_Products_Data_Sheet.html

Thanks for your reply,

You understand my question, I am looking for a way to connect our 1861 to the Internet, I don't have installed any HWIC on my router but I have an ADSL modem, I have done all configuration on 1861, i am unable to configure modem for provide internet to Cisco 1861 , we have Linksys is an AM300, there was a letter on the end of AM300 but I can't remeber it, it is a basic ADSL2 modem Also have a Netgear MBR624GU Router here, but I can't find a way to set it for straight through no options in the menu..

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Mate, you need to set your ADSL modem(s) to "bridge" or bypass mode.  Connect a straight-through or cross-over from the ADSL model to the router.  Do your Dialer interface configuration on your router.

Thanks,

You means i need cross-over cable. is it necessary ? can i use straight cable for it ?

Hall of Fame Super Gold

The 1860 will support MDI/MDI-X.  Give it a go.  That's why I said "or".

Sorry it's my confusion, I had not seen "or" & straight cable, If i use Bridge it will work,

1  more question Bridge & straight-through is same or difference..

Hello Leolaohoo,

Thanks for your reply, I have done configuration on Linksay's modem, I have configured device in Bridge mode & LLC  encapsulation, but not getting internet through Cisco 1861...

Physical connection as per below:

ISP<---> Linksys (192.168.1.1) <---> Cisco 1861 <-------> LAN IP :192.168.8.1, MASK : 255.255.255.0) <---> workstations (192,168.8.2-192.168.8.254, MASK 255.255.255.0, Gateway 192.168.8.1)

Can you suggest me what need to be done for same ?

Regards

Vikrant

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content