Views
Helpful
Replies

play audio for public announcement system

ramon.yu.jr
Level 1
Level 1

hi all,

i don't know if this is possible but just want to open up a discussion and get your inputs.

in our branch office, there is this alarm system that was integrated to their old PBX.  since the site is already on IPT (SRST to our CUCM in Singapore), they wanted to integrate this as well.  i have attached on the physical connectivity.  we only have FXS on our router and i don't think we can use it to play audio out of it.  from their old PBX system, here's how it worked:

1. PA (public announcement) system is connected to PBX

2. end-user calls '444' from the phone

3. PBX plays audio announcement off the port where the PA is connected

4. this audio is then broadcasted out to the speakers connected to the PA

i don't expect the exact things we can do on IPT but want to know what other solution we can have to replace it.

thanks in advance for your inputs.

4 Replies 4

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This is essentially a paging system, you can absolutely integrate paging system with voice gateway, either station port FXS or trunk port FXO would be required depending on your paging system specs.  Ideally you would also put in place a paging adapter (I recommend TAMB2 or Bogen PagePal) which can connect via either trunk or station.

The you somply define the route pattern (i.e. 444) to point to the GW with the paging system connected.

HTH,

Chris

Thanks for the reply Chris.  I think we need an FXO in this case because the interface to the PA is a trunk.  I'll check on the paging adapter you recommended. 

hi Chris,

just got clarity regarding the connections and devices used.  now from the voice-gateway router's FXS port, it connects to a Universal Loud Sounding Alarm System (http://www.accesscomms.com.au/products/K3509FAQ.htm) then from that box goes to the PA where it alarm is broadcasted to the speakers.

connecting the alarm box to the FXS is ok, however, its behavior is unusual.  when i call the emergency number 444 i sometimes get connected 'dead air' and no sound on alarm box. sometimes when i call 444 it gets disconnected right away.  also sometimes, the FXS port gets stuck on off-hook and goes back to on-hook after i shutdown the port for some time. 

in the FAQ from the link i provided it mentioned about ring cadence and frequency, i've tried changing those on the voice port but i still got the same behavior.

any idea?  thanks!

regards,

ramon

just want to update that i managed to fixed this.  the issue was somehow on the patch panel, probably twisted the cables for the old PBX connection. so patching the alarm directly to FXS resolved it.    thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: