Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Please share your inputs on Eg1 and Eg2 whether Voicemail port dependency is hardware based or can be added on a ala carta basis ?

Hi,

Please share your inputs on Eg1 and Eg2 whether Voicemail port dependency is hardware based or can be added on a ala carta basis ?

1. Pls correct if wrong, the number of Voicemail ports would depend on what Unity Connection supported hardware model is selected. Also, the number of Voicemail ports can not be added on a ala carta basis and it comes with the hardware.

Eg1; with Unity Connection8.6 on MCS7845 standalone server would support 250 voicemail ports and if Unity Connection is used in a Active-Active mode then total 500 voicemail ports would be available with unity connection cluster.

Eg2; On a UCS platform, UCS C210-M2 server running Unity connection 8.6 with 10,000 Voicemail OVA Capacity,the following number of Voicemail ports would be available:

(i.) Limits for Standalone Configuration:

• 150 ports G.711 or G.729a (combined TUI, VUI, or TTS)
  • 35 ports iLBC or G.722

(ii.) Limits for Active/Active Cluster Configuration:

• 300 ports G.711 or G.729a (combined TUI, VUI, or TTS)
  • 70 ports iLBC or G.722

(iii.) When OVA Template for Unity Connection8.6 with 10000 Voicemail OVA Capacity 300 GB HDD is installed on UCS C210-M2 server, it would on its own allocate vCPU=4, RAM=6GB, vHDD=300GB and 150 voicemail ports.

If more than 150 Voicemail ports are required, then we can have Unity Connection8.6 running in a Active/Active mode, then 300 voicemail ports would be available.

However, if the number of Voicemail ports required is more than 300, then need to install, Unity Connection8.6 with 20,000 Voicemail OVA Capacity template on UCS C210-M2 server. This template has following Voicemail port capacity:

Limits for Standalone Configuration:

• 250 ports G.711 or G.729a (combined TUI, VUI, or TTS)
  • 60 ports iLBC or G.722

Limits for Active/Active Cluster Configuration:

• 500 ports G.711 or G.729a (combined TUI, VUI, or TTS)
  • 120 ports iLBC or G.722

Regards

Sumit

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Please share your inputs on Eg1 and Eg2 whether Voicemail por

There is both a hardware support and licensing aspect to the number of ports.  From a support perspective, the number of ports is limited by the physical server hardware (i.e., platform) or the virtual resources (i.e., as specified in the OVA files).  However, the number of ports you can actually configure is also based on how many ports you are licensed for.  For example, you may have a server that can support 250 ports but if your license file only contains 16 ports then you will only be able to configure 16 ports on the system.  I haven't had a scenario where a customer needed to add more ports; however, I don't think that would be a problem.

When you talk about port capacity for Unity Connection, I would recommend that you focus more on the single server port capacity vs. the cluster capacity for normal operations.  Unity Connection is designed as an active-active cluster with the intention of providing 100% failover of services if one server is offline.  The recommended design is that the Subscriber should handle all call processing with the ability to overflow to the Publisher.  IOW, if you need to support 500 concurrent calls on a consistent basis but each server is only able to support 250 ports on its own then an outage of one server would immediately result in a 50% blocking of services.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Hall of Fame Super Silver

All of your assumptions are correct, this is documented here:

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/OVA_Template_Details_for_Unity_Connection_Release_8.6.2

HTH,

Chris

2 REPLIES

There is both a hardware support and licensing aspect to the number of ports.  From a support perspective, the number of ports is limited by the physical server hardware (i.e., platform) or the virtual resources (i.e., as specified in the OVA files).  However, the number of ports you can actually configure is also based on how many ports you are licensed for.  For example, you may have a server that can support 250 ports but if your license file only contains 16 ports then you will only be able to configure 16 ports on the system.  I haven't had a scenario where a customer needed to add more ports; however, I don't think that would be a problem.

When you talk about port capacity for Unity Connection, I would recommend that you focus more on the single server port capacity vs. the cluster capacity for normal operations.  Unity Connection is designed as an active-active cluster with the intention of providing 100% failover of services if one server is offline.  The recommended design is that the Subscriber should handle all call processing with the ability to overflow to the Publisher.  IOW, if you need to support 500 concurrent calls on a consistent basis but each server is only able to support 250 ports on its own then an outage of one server would immediately result in a 50% blocking of services.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Hall of Fame Super Silver

All of your assumptions are correct, this is documented here:

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/OVA_Template_Details_for_Unity_Connection_Release_8.6.2

HTH,

Chris

Views
Helpful
Replies