Views
Helpful
Replies

Point to point vs point to multipoint

njdosborne1664
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Wondering if there are any ISDN experts lurking in the forums that could shed some light on which configuration is correct.

At each site:

We have a cisco 2901 or 2801 with a BRI card conencted to an ISDN line.

8 x Cisco 6921 IP phones,

CUCME

AIM module with 5 mailboxes.

All IP calls are internal.

There is only one number on the ISDN line.

Only 4 phones on the same hunt group (444) are allowed to dial out. We have a translation rule that states all incoming calls from the ISDN line are routed to this hunt group.

Everything works pretty well - all 100 sites, (half are point to point, half are point to multipoint), although some sites have suggested that it can take up to 15 seconds to dial out. We would obviously like to get some consistency in the network.

I dont think there is a need to post config, my question is..   should the ISDN service we are provided be configured by the telco as point to point... or point to multipoint ? and what are the differences between the two. I beleive the multipoint end is at the telco.

Any thoughts ?

1 Reply 1

njdosborne1664
Level 1
Level 1

For the record - google searches suggest point to point, engineers at telco suggest point to multipoint which would appear to work perfectly.. but whats the differences !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: