Views
Helpful
Replies

Poor Data Engineer Getting Beaten Up!! Auto-negotiate on IP Phones

kfarrington
Level 3
Level 3

Guys,

Is there any software where you can log onto a web page and look at all your phones that are set to auto-negotiate.

This would help a poor man like me from thinking that slow performance could be data infra/circuit/qos related?

Help me please, so I can receover from the beatings :)

Many thx all,

Ken

3 Replies 3

chris.mann
Level 1
Level 1

All phones, straight out of the box, are set to auto-negotiate. That has to be set on the device itself, by navigating the menus, and selecting a different option.

I'm not sure of any software to determine if that setting was changed.

If you find something, would be great to know!

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you are running Cisco Switches, CDP will tell you want phones are plugged into the switch from that, you can tell which is are set to Auto based on the switchport configurations.

If there is a mismatch, say the switchport is forced to 100 and the phone is auto, the switch will throw errors out on this.

hope this helps

Many thx for the replies all.

All I was really after is sommat like Cisco Works or sommat, so I can pull up a screen for a switch and it will tell me every phone and its switch port settings (without having to go thru 500 phones and checking them manually?

Also, does anyone know of a bug (potentially) where if a phone (7961) resets, it resets the switch and PC port back to auto-neg?

Cisco, Please please please make my life easy :)) haha

Many thx all,

Ken

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: