Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Postage Meter on FXS port with Callmanager?

Has anyone used a postage meter to download postage through callmanager? I have a client that just deployed IP tel at 3 different sites and the postage meter will not connect through the cisco analog line.

That same line works just fine for faxing. Once they try a pots line (direct from PSTN) it works fine.

Their tech support for the postage meter swears that it will not work over voip.

I can't see how it would be different than a modem or fax though?

Any suggestions are appreciated. thanks!

16 REPLIES
Blue

Re: Postage Meter on FXS port with Callmanager?

Matt,

Are these router FXS ports, ATAs, or VG248s?

Do you have the port configured for modem passthrough?

Have you monitored the port when they try to verify the call is handled as a modem call?

Please rate helpful posts.

Dave

Hello there.

The postage machine is plugged into an FXS port and the FXO line that calls go out on both plug into the same 2800 gateway. (MGCP)

I do have modem passthrough configured but I also noticed a note on the doc for setting it up that analog port to analog port is not supported so not sure if this is an issue. I'm planning on taking an ATA out onsite next time I make it out there.

I'm just curious to know if anyone knows that a postage meter is working on a Cisco voip deployment.

thanks for the input.

Matt

If by postage machine you mean something that dials the post office and downloads postage credit to enable you to print this onto envelopes instead of using postage stamps (this is a franking machine in the UK) then yes I have done this.

This was with a VG248 to IP LAN to ISDN 30 gateway.

The only thing I had to do was to add a "9" to dial to the PSTN.

I cant see why this should be a problem as the nature of the machine shouldnt matter, its still just a modem to modem call.

What debugs have you done ?

HTH

I've had no problems with Pitney Bowes postage machines attached to FXS port in 2800ISRs with 12.4(4)XC.

They are modems and would not work over ATAs by design.

I've had a similiar scenario with a neopost postage meter box. Other than having to tell it to dial 9, I had to add this on the 2800:

network-clock-select 1 T1 0/0/1

Prior to this, I had a substantial number of slips on the T1.

Works with CCM4.1, 242116FXs with a 3640 as PRI Gateway over a Wireless network!

Postage device should work just fine.

Review your config and lower the baud rate on Postage machine to lowest setting possible.

Thanks for your input everyone. I'm glad to hear that some people have it working.

I'm thinking that as the modem passthrough doc mentioned that analog to analog might not be supported. I'm going to try and route the call to this number out a PRI and see if that fixes the issue tomorrow.

thanks again,

matt

Postage Meter on FXS port with Callmanager?

I know this is old, but would you be able to post a link to the document?  I have had a lot of problems with faxing when the fax line is plugged into the FXO port and the fax machine is on the FXS on an MGCP gateway.  Moving to PRI, the problem disappears.  This is the first I've been able to find any reference to a document that discussed it, my best Google skills have been unable to locate it.  Thanks.

Over a PRI I was able to get

Over a PRI I was able to get this working on an MGCP gateway after issuing this command:

mgcp modem passthrough voip mode nse

Just to let everyone know, routing the call out the PRI fixed the issue. It appears the analog to analog modem passthrough will not work.

thanks again everyone for the input!

Glad to hear

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Guys just so you know. You can use an ATA with a Pitney Bowes Postage Meter. I leared that this morning after reading this post to help solve my own problem.

My setup is ATA to PRI the thing you need to do is make sure modem pass through cmd are under your voip dial-peer. Here is my example which fixed my issue.

dial-peer voice 150 voip

modem passthrough nse codec g711ulaw

voice-class codec 1

voice-class h323 1

incoming called-number .

dtmf-relay h245-alphanumeric

fax rate disable

fax protocol pass-through g711ulaw

This dial-peer is my general routing voip dial-peer so that dial-peer 0 doesn't get used. In here I place my "modem passthrough nse codec g711ulaw" cmd which produced the fix. I also threw in:

fax rate disable

fax protocol pass-through g711ulaw

for good measure and made sure my voice-class code cmd had g711ulaw as preference #1.

Hope this helps someone out there.

So you are running H323 on your ATA?

What is that registering with?

Update to original poster. Even though he had a different resolution.

I had issues with PB postal machine and found slips on the PRI interface (0/1/0). Issued the network-clock-select 1 T1 0/1/0 command and resolved the problem.

I have resolved the issue with NeoPost machine connecting to the ATA-187 which is routed to PSTN thru h.323 gateway.

Please find the information as attached.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content