Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Power Splitter vs. Power Injector

All,

Can anyone verify that you can use a Power Splitter (Like the ones that come with a 7937) in a closet the same as you would a Power Injector?  I am thinking yes since they both supply the standard PoE.  The cost is a factor.  $30 vs. $90.

Thanks in advance!  All replies rated.  

4 REPLIES

As a point of clarification the real question is if there is a technical reason to NOT use the splitters in the closets instead of the Injectors?  Other than you get rudimentary status lights on the power and the device.

Thanks in advance!  All replies rated

Hall of Fame Super Gold

I don't think you can use splitters.  This is because a splitter is for data use only and "splits" a 4-pair cable into two sets of 2 pair.  This is designed for DATA transmission.  Throw in PoE and it just won't work.

Hello Leo,

just to confirm, we are not talking about a standard data splitter.  I am referring to the Power Splitter that comes with a 7937 conference phone to give power to the phone over Ethernet.  This splitter usually uses an outlet near the phone to inject power into the Ethernet cable.  What we are talking about doing is using the splitter in an IDF closet instead of at the phone.

Given that did you get what we were trying to do in the first place and thus does your answer still apply?

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Ohhhh ... You mean this "splitter" is a power injector?

No problem with moving this away from the phone and into the IDF.

Views
Helpful
Replies