cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Prefix Call

keithlaws2004
Level 1
Level 1

So I know how to prefix a missed call with a 91, etc... to help users return external calls, but the issue at hand is prefixing internal calls with site codes.  What I'm stumped on is how to add a prefix to a partition when they make an internal call.  Since we have 16 locations, I would like to prefix each location with their own site code.  Am I making this too difficult?  Looking for your thoughts.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

William Bell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Whether you are making this too difficult or not is a matter of opinion where only your opinion counts! You have the following options:

a) Program directory numbers with the inter-site route digit + site code + normal extension. So, if you are presently extension 4000 in siteA, siteA uses site code 88, and the inter-site dialing prefix is "8" then your extension would become 8884000. Then whenever you called someone they would already have your inter-site dialing prefix and site code. The downside is obvious: you have to bulk change all of your extensions. Also, you have sort of flipped your problem here in that now intra-tenant calls (e.g. calls within siteA) are likely 4-digit or something like that. So, now you have to add translation patterns to "hide" the extra digits of the calling party.

b) Use translation patterns. You would need one pattern (at least) per tenant on your system. Let's assume your inter-site dialing prefix is "8" and you use two digit site codes. Further, let's assume you have 4-digit extensions within a site. Phones in siteA have a CSS just for their site (e.g. siteA_css). They also have a partition just for their site (e.g. siteA_pt). I am guessing you already have something like this in place. Let's say that siteB uses site code 55. In the siteA_pt create a translation pattern:

- pattern: 855.xxxx

- css: siteB_css (so that you can route to the siteB phones)

- translate calling: 888xxxx (siteA is site code 88)

- translate called: strip pre-dot (or something similar)

The drawback here is you have to 16x16 such patterns. Which is why option A is nice because you have fewer translations (16 total).

Anyway, those are my thoughts on the topic.

HTH.

Regards,

Bill

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

William Bell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Whether you are making this too difficult or not is a matter of opinion where only your opinion counts! You have the following options:

a) Program directory numbers with the inter-site route digit + site code + normal extension. So, if you are presently extension 4000 in siteA, siteA uses site code 88, and the inter-site dialing prefix is "8" then your extension would become 8884000. Then whenever you called someone they would already have your inter-site dialing prefix and site code. The downside is obvious: you have to bulk change all of your extensions. Also, you have sort of flipped your problem here in that now intra-tenant calls (e.g. calls within siteA) are likely 4-digit or something like that. So, now you have to add translation patterns to "hide" the extra digits of the calling party.

b) Use translation patterns. You would need one pattern (at least) per tenant on your system. Let's assume your inter-site dialing prefix is "8" and you use two digit site codes. Further, let's assume you have 4-digit extensions within a site. Phones in siteA have a CSS just for their site (e.g. siteA_css). They also have a partition just for their site (e.g. siteA_pt). I am guessing you already have something like this in place. Let's say that siteB uses site code 55. In the siteA_pt create a translation pattern:

- pattern: 855.xxxx

- css: siteB_css (so that you can route to the siteB phones)

- translate calling: 888xxxx (siteA is site code 88)

- translate called: strip pre-dot (or something similar)

The drawback here is you have to 16x16 such patterns. Which is why option A is nice because you have fewer translations (16 total).

Anyway, those are my thoughts on the topic.

HTH.

Regards,

Bill

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

That's got it.  Thanks!

My thoughts were limited in that I was thinking the dialing pattern needed to match the partition such as pattern 888XXXX had to use the Site_A partition.  But pointing out that difference opens a wide array of possibilities in the translations.

Thank you again!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: