Views
Helpful
Replies

PRI and POTS

scooter817
Level 2
Level 2

Hi

I wanted to know if someone can explain to me the diffenence between PRI and POTS lines,thanks in advance for the help and have a geat day

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

A PRI is a digital PSTN interface.  It has 23 B channels and 1 D channel.  In other words, every B channel can be used for inbound or outbound calls at any given time.  At the highest level, it's like having 23 phone lines.

A POTS line is a single, analog telephone line.  They can be configured differently based on your needs but at the highest level, it's a single telephone line.

Depending on the number of users that you have, having a PRI (or multiple) can be much more cost effective than trying to achieve the same level of PSTN connectivity with individual POTS lines.

Hailey

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

A PRI is a digital PSTN interface.  It has 23 B channels and 1 D channel.  In other words, every B channel can be used for inbound or outbound calls at any given time.  At the highest level, it's like having 23 phone lines.

A POTS line is a single, analog telephone line.  They can be configured differently based on your needs but at the highest level, it's a single telephone line.

Depending on the number of users that you have, having a PRI (or multiple) can be much more cost effective than trying to achieve the same level of PSTN connectivity with individual POTS lines.

Hailey

Thanks alot I really appreicate the help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: